Senator 116A (10/0)

Started by sdlehr, April 07, 2016, 02:47:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Albert, my largest was a 6/0, I also had a 4/0 and some jigmasters destroyed.
I do not have those parts anymore. The 6/0 I can't find, it was a while ago, the 4/0 went to Tom and the jigmasters I still have, but in pieces.
I did not mean to stop you, I just didn't want you to spend too much.
You need to proceed with that spool though, since you started it, but it's up to you.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Makule

Was able to find a 10/0 spool on fleabay for 75.  Problem solved, if the spool is good.

Sal, your suggestion was a good one and I'm not one to deny good suggestions.  Better idea than mine.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Makule

Where can I buy an aluminum spool for a 12/0?

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 13, 2016, 01:43:53 AM
Albert, I'm for exploring and you are giving it a good effort, but that just seems like a lot of work. How about cutting a 29-116L in half and make it a narrow? You will still need to make the new spool shaft.
At $75 it doesn't hurt too bad if it fails.
Just a thought, but I already know your answer ;D.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Makule on July 13, 2016, 11:39:38 PM

Albert, I'm for exploring and you are giving it a good effort, but that just seems like a lot of work. How about cutting a 29-116L in half and make it a narrow? You will still need to make the new spool shaft.

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/29L-116.aspx

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Albert,
You got lucky on that 10/0 spool.
You can buy a 12/0 spool here.
However, before you go any further, you said your 10/0 had a three piece spool.
The bushing reel spools have a longer shaft on the handle side.
These spools are not compatible with a bushing reel.
It has to have bearings to work, or replace the side plates with bearing versions which is not cost productive.
It will end up costing more than buying a new reel.
I'm not trying to sink your ship, but a bushing reel will only fit a bushing spool and visa versa.
I think Sal and I were typing at the same time.
You were one of the original guys here that helped me when I first started. I've learned from my mistakes on the way.
If you have a bearing 10/0, ignore everything I just said. ;)

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Life is Good!

Makule

I actually did a search on Scott's and couldn't find it.  Glad you guys are here.

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 13, 2016, 11:57:31 PM
Quote from: Makule on July 13, 2016, 11:39:38 PM

Makule

That's the reason Sal said I'd need to cut a new shaft if modifying the 12/0 spool for the 10/0 (the reel I have has the bushings).  Making the shaft shorter and/or thinner is easy.  Going the other way is more difficult (but do-able).  Cutting the 12/0 spool and then making it narrower is a whole lot easier than casting and cutting an entire spool.  Glad Sal rescued me from my folly.  

On the other hand, maybe the steel inclusions in the aluminum casting were placed there by God telling me not to proceed.  Either way, that project is history.

Quote from: Shark Hunter on July 14, 2016, 12:01:56 AM
Albert,
You got lucky on that 10/0 spool.
You can buy a 12/0 spool here.

However, before you go any further, you said your 10/0 had a three piece spool.
The bushing reel spools have a longer shaft on the handle side.
These spools are not compatible with a bushing reel.
It has to have bearings to work, or replace the side plates with bearing versions which is not cost productive.
It will end up costing more than buying a new reel.
I'm not trying to sink your ship, but a bushing reel will only fit a bushing spool and visa versa.
I think Sal and I were typing at the same time.
You were one of the original guys here that helped me when I first started. I've learned from my mistakes on the way.
If you have a bearing 10/0, ignore everything I just said. ;)

Tightlines667

I, for one, was looking forward to watching you perfect the art of casting aluminum spools from scrap.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

sdlehr

Quote from: Tightlines666 on July 14, 2016, 03:01:05 AM
I, for one, was looking forward to watching you perfect the art of casting aluminum spools from scrap.
x2. I've never done any lathe work or really any metal fabrication, so I'm fascinated by watching what you guys do...

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Makule

You can both thank Sal for changing my course.  He steered me in the correct direction.

There is a possibility (slim, admittedly) that I will still cast and cut a spool for the 10/0.  I am more inclined to go another route, however (modify a 12/0 spool).  Getting the shaft length to suit the older 116A model will still be much easier than redoing the whole thing (spool and shaft).

Shown below is a spool I cut a long time ago for a Templar reel (about the size of a 4/0).  Templar never came out with aluminum spools so I thought I'd make one.  Finished the spool, but never got around to making the shaft.  Changed the bushings to BB on the reel too.  Kept it around thinking I'd finish it one day.  There's still a good chance I'll do it by the time I check out.

Quote from: sdlehr on July 14, 2016, 03:21:59 AM
Quote from: Tightlines666 on July 14, 2016, 03:01:05 AM
x2. I've never done any lathe work or really any metal fabrication, so I'm fascinated by watching what you guys do...

Sid

Tightlines667

It is not uncommon to run into 'Frankinreels' here in HI.  Many old timers often cast and/or machined parts to widen their reels, or in some cases make entirely new ones out of existing parts.  

There is a reel news article by Mr. Brian Funai exploring the topic of, as he calls them, "Tractor Reels".  Early Pflueger Atlapacs, and Templars were often widened, (through modification of the stand, posts, and spool) in order to increase line capacity for shore fishing applications.  South Africa, and Australia were also known for producing garage built reels to meet the demands of the local fishermen.

Interesting topic.

I was hoping to (and might yet) see a modern garage-built, 'tractor reel'.

Guess through all of the mods available on this site, we are all keeping the tradition alive in one, or another shape or form.

:)
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Makule

I was one of those who used to widen the Templars (1419 3/4 to 1420 1/2 width) and Senators (6/0 to 9/0 width).  Also made the Templar 1420 1/2 to the 1419 3/4 width (narrower).  Those narrow 1420 1/2 were great for balance and handling.

Quote from: Tightlines666 on July 15, 2016, 12:56:01 AM
It is not uncommon to run into 'Frankinreels' here in HI.  Many old timers often cast and/or machined parts to widen their reels, or in some cases make entirely new ones out of existing parts.  

There is a reel news article by Mr. Brian Funai exploring the topic of, as he calls them, "Tractor Reels".  Early Pflueger Atlapacs, and Templars were often widened, (through modification of the stand, posts, and spool) in order to increase line capacity for shore fishing applications.  South Africa, and Australia were also known for producing garage built reels to meet the demands of the local fishermen.

Interesting topic.

I was hoping to (and might yet) see a modern garage-built, 'tractor reel'.

Guess through all of the mods available on this site, we are all keeping the tradition alive in one, or another shape or form.

:)

Makule

The fleabay spool arrived and, since it was the cast type for BB, the shaft (as expected) was too long.  A half-hour of machining and it is good to go.  Not perfect, and I may decide to do a little more work on it, but good enough for now.

Upon removal, the 3-piece spools had been brazed.  Apparently, it pushed apart and the previous owner tried to get it repaired by brazing.  As most of you know, brazing requires lots of heat, especially when the flanges act as heat sinks.  Consequently, the heat distorted the spool and that is the reason it was warped.