Main Menu

Newbie help

Started by Saaben, April 15, 2016, 09:56:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saaben

After lurking on the website for some time I have come to appreciate the feedback and advice offered here and could use some myself. Last year I had the opportunity to try my hand at shark fishing and quickly caught the bug. I did some research and got an Okuma spinning reel with an Ugly Stik rod and made some leaders.We were fortunate to catch a number of them on St George"s Island last summer and that only made me try a little harder. 2 weeks ago we were down again and I caught about 6 with 2 lost and the biggest being 4.5 feet which we think was a Bull. Fun times for sure and I really enjoyed the whole process. One issue I have is that I run my bait out in a kayak and quickly realized I was just never going to get out that far with the amount of line on the Okuma. Last summer I spent a great deal of time researching the Penn 9/0 but put it on the back burner. I now find myself really wanting the line capacity and the have my heart set on the mentioned Penn. The problem I am running into is that I am wanting to purchase a product that is no longer made and has to be bought used and essentially over the net on Ebay etc. I can obviously get a new one from Penn but am alarmed with the amount of stories or opinions on the new chinese made ones. It would be great to purchase  new product with a warranty etc but the downside is that if in fact it is junk I saved myself nothing. In looking at Ebay if I have little experience in purchasing one I really take a chance as well. It seems that I have "paralysis by analysis" with essentially information overload. I just was added to the site so will post in the want ads what I am looking for but wanted to see if in fact anyone had bought a new Penn Senator 9/0 and what their thoughts were. I am not in a rush but will be going back down in two months and look to have a new rig by then. Thanks in advance and I am sure I will have other questions.

Rancanfish

Hey there,

I can't help you much but it looks like you are taking you time which is a good thing.

I really posted to say you should also consider the Daiwa 900h.  It comes with a full frame already. You will buy used because they don't make them anymore, but good examples come up all the time.  Then add Alan's 5+1 drag and handle set up.  Ready -to-go!  Good luck.

Oh, maybe add your real name to the discussion..I'm Randy.  I have no idea why the pic is sideways, but you get a good look at the reel anyway.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Saaben

Thanks so much Randy. I actually saw one yesterday that one of the members had for sale. His picture was sideways as well for the record. Amazing that so many good reels are no longer made. Seems like there may be an untapped market there. I will of course spend way too much time this weekend researching the Diawa. I am somewhat handy but certainly taking apart a reel to replace washers sounds like there may be the potential to watch a spring go flying into the lost and found which is my house. Again thanks so much for responding and my name is David.

Rancanfish

Welcome David!   If you lay out the parts as you pull them I think you will find it pretty straight forward.  Of course I'd order up any upgrades beforehand, along with some Cal's drag grease.  I have a ton of Yamaha grease if you need some if you pay to ship. 

I only have two springs lost in my kitchen, but neither came from the 900H.  ;D

Enjoy your research!  I'm off to work....

I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

foakes

Welcome, David --

Listen to what Randy and others are advocating -- you have entered a new dimension -- the Alan Tani Zone.

Either the Daiwa 900 series or the Penn 9/0 would accomplish your goals very well.

The danger is spending way more $$$ than absolutely necessary in the beginning.

In my opinion -- here is my 2 cents:

Go with a decent, used Penn 9/0 (with an aluminum spool)

Put the word out that you need a Dom/Tom frame from Tom at Cortez.  (He will also likely be making another run of these by the end of this year).

Upgrade the drag stack to one of Adam's insert kits.

Handle can be upgraded at this point -- but I would probably hold off on that for now.

Make sure you have the mounting harness hardware -- it should come with some reels you may find.

Best bet would be to get one from someone on this site -- less ramp up expense and problems that way.

You will likely have $250 to $300 invested in this project -- and if you ever decide to sell the reel -- you can easily get your money back out of it because it is a Penn -- and very capably set up for many types of fishing.

Do not be concerned about the warranty on a new 9/0 --

Set up properly -- with just a minimum of upgrades -- this reel will be perfect, capable, and bulletproof.

Weakest link with a stock 9/0 -- has always been the stand and frame twist under a heavy load.

You can do all of this yourself, or there are a half dozen very capable folks who can help you on site -- Daron, Chile, Sal, myself.  If you had all of the parts, most of us would put it together for you at no charge.

Everything is easily available, except the frame -- so if you put out the word now, or wait until Tom does another run -- patience will win.

Again, welcome!

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Saaben

Thank you so much Fred for taking the time to respond. I realize members and forums see a number of questions over and over from newbies. I have searched until my eyes are sore on the net trying to see if someone has owned both the new and older Penn etc and it is so hard to type in that exact phrase etc. I have posted that I am looking for one and have the time to wait. To quote you below would you yourself buy a new one or recommend a new one to someone? I would rather wait for a used one that a member has and has decided to build another project but also can imagine as a newbie here people look at the amount of post and would rather not bother. If you hear of one for sale please consider pointing them in my direction if you could. A real shame Penn has let the manufacturing go to pot but then we cannot get a 67 Camaro new anymore as well. Thanks

Do not be concerned about the warranty on a new 9/0 --

foakes

David --

You will find folks on here very ready and willing to help you at any stage of your project with advice, hands on, or a good back up in case things seem to go South on you -- or if you need a few parts.

While true that we see a lot of the same questions over and over -- we all realize that this is the first time you have asked this question -- and you deserve patient and informative answers.

This is a very simple project -- try not to over-think it -- and you will learn a lot.

We have seen new folks come on site -- and within a few months -- have close to the same experience and knowledge level -- as someone who has been doing it for 10 years or more.

Since you are friendly and respectful -- you will learn much -- as well as possibly become a solid conteibutor that we can all learn from.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Aiala

Hi, David, and welcome to TaniWorld!   ;)

If it hasn't previously been mentioned, I suggest that you look for a vintage USA model that has ball bearings rather than bushings... in other words, round like this:

as opposed to hexagonal like this:

Best of luck with your build... you will love it!  (And don't forget to post us a pic when it's all done.)   ;)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Shark Hunter

David,
Welcome my friend! ;D
I too have the Shark Fishing Disease. The 9/0 is a very capable reel for what you are trying to accomplish, but
after you sink a couple hundred into it modifying it with a frame and all the goodies. I would consider a 12/0.
You can pick one up for around $250 used. This reel will hold 1000 yards of 100 lb mono and will be better suited for your application. You can also hot rod this one a little with a stainless sleeve, handle upgrade and insert, but Bone stock, it can handle a 10' shark. Just my Opinion.
Daron
Life is Good!

foakes

David --

Here is a 12/0 that Daron fixed up for me on the right -- doesn't get any better.

Here is a 10/0 I picked up recently -- a 10/0 has the same diameter plates as a 12/0 -- just a little narrower.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.