Spool pin plier/tool that fits Ambassadeurs and smaller baitcasters !

Started by Drisse, April 17, 2016, 07:23:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drisse

Hello !

I have the spool pin plier from reelspeed, but it doesn't fit all reels. Recently I should press out the pin on an Ambassadeur 6500 Inshore, but the Reelspeed plier didn't fit. The press-pin on the plier is a bit to far in on the plier. So I wonder if there's a plier or tool that fits when the Reelspeed plier can't help you ?

I know there's a couple of DIY tools, but I like when there's a press-pin on the tool.

Thanks in advance 

oc1

I really like the Hedgehog tool.  My old ABUs don't have a spool pin or third bearing, but the Hedgehog works on Calcutta 100, Lew's Inshore BB1 and BB2.  It only needs about a millimeter or two of clearance under the pin.  It has a concave rod that presses the pin flush and then a pointed rod that presses the pin through the shaft.  A little cup catches the pin as it falls out the other side. 
http://www.hedgehog-studio.co.jp/product/2
-steve

Tiddlerbasher

I've been using the Boca spool pin pliers - similar design Reelspeed, but not exactly the same.
No complaints so far. They have fitted every reel I've tried.

handi2

Me too but there are some smaller reels it does not fit. Not many but every once in a while.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Tiddlerbasher

smaller reels Keith :o  What are you doing with smaller reels :D

Drisse

Thanks a lot for your answers.

Don't know if I'll buy another plier (Boca) or try the Hedgehog tool ?

The Reelspeed plier would have done the job if the pin on the plier was placed just a little bit near the nose/edge of the plier.
I saw that I can buy the Hedgehog tool on Ebay. Does Boca ship international ? And does the Boca plier fit smaller Ambassadeurs ?

Tiddlerbasher

Can't you just grind a little bit off the 'nose' of the pliers?

Zimbass

Quote from: Drisse on April 17, 2016, 10:41:30 PM
Thanks a lot for your answers.

Don't know if I'll buy another plier (Boca) or try the Hedgehog tool ?

The Reelspeed plier would have done the job if the pin on the plier was placed just a little bit near the nose/edge of the plier.
I saw that I can buy the Hedgehog tool on Ebay. Does Boca ship international ? And does the Boca plier fit smaller Ambassadeurs ?

The guys at Boca are great to deal with and do ship Internationally.

I find that the Boca tool works on each and every reel I have tried, including the smaller Ambassadeurs. Just have to be accurate with placement, in order to avoid damaging the tool.

The Hedgehog tool is also great, but not as robust as the Boca pliers.

Cheers,

Terry.
Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

oc1

You're right, the Hedgehog tool is not robust at all.  It's almost flimsy.  It is precise though and gives you more control so there is less chance of scratching the shaft.
-steve

Drisse

Tiddlerbasher: It would work to grind down the nose a bit, but I think I'll buy the Boca plier anyway.

Seems like the Boca plier is the right thing to buy.