Grandwave reels?

Started by SoCalAngler, February 28, 2011, 07:31:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalAngler

Has anyone been able to squeeze out any more drag pressure out of their GrandWaves? I have a 20SHW that I would like to get a little more drag out of. I have changed out the drags to greased Carbontex and I'm getting around 7lbs with the reel fully buttoned down. I'm not sure I want to fish this reel fully buttoned down as I may harm something in the reel. So if you have any ideas on how I could get a little more drag out of this reel or if you think it is ok to fish it fully buttoned down, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

alantani

you should be getting 20 pounds.  first guess, the star is bottoming out or you have spectra slipping on the spool. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

SoCalAngler

I'm not sure but I think you may be confusing this little reel with another model or are you saying I should get 20lbs of drag out of this one? I have never been able to get anywhere close to 20lbs out of it. As you can see I like to do a bit of upgrading to my reels, this 20SHW has an aftermarket handle and I want to get a little more drag out of it. I fish it here in So Cal mostly for the three B's with 20lb test. Also I fish it with mono and a fluorocarbon leader when needed so spectra slippage is not the problem. Sometimes I do use this reel for larger fish like tuna and tails. Last year the yellowfin locally were very line shy and I used this reel to catch a 33lb yft, this is why I'm looking to get a little more drag out of it.

Just a little note about myself because you all don't know me, I have worked in a saltwater only tackle shop here in So Cal in the past. Also I think it was the first tackle store to have an online presence. I have spooled up hundreds of reels with spectra from 80 sized reels down to little baitcasters. When I worked there many of our customers fished long range for cow sized tuna and if there was any problem with my spooling method or connections for topshots and alike that I made you can bet I would of heard about it in a big way. I did not do the reel repair at the shop but I do like tinkering with my reels to get them to feel and fish the way I like.

Alan your web site is great and offers a wealth of knowledge from yourself and everyone who participates. Thank you for setting up and keeping a site like this running.

alantani

there aren't too many of those around, but the grandwave 20 should be pretty close in size to the sealine 20's.  the drags are much larger than many similarly sized reels.  with a "1+3" greased carbon fiber drag stack, buttoned down vein popping tight, i think you should be able to get 20 pounds out of it.  i can get that out of my progear classic series reels, but there will probably be damage to the gears.  i would think you'd have the same problem with this reel.  i've fished 15 pounds on my progear with gear damage.  did you change out the drag washers, yet? 

i think i misunderstood.  you can get 7 pounds and have more room to go, right?  it's not that the absolute limit of the reel is 7 pounds. 

SoCalAngler

Yes I have replaced the stock greased felt drag washers a few years ago with Carbontex which I also greased. The reel is maxed out at 7lbs of drag. I don't dare to try to turn (force) the star any further in fear of breaking the plastic star so yep pretty much maxed at seven pounds.

alantani

unless the star is bottoming out or the spectra is slipping, you have maxxed out your reel.  i dunno.  seems awfully low!

mackereljoe

I have the bigger 50 size and i can get over 20# of drag with carbontex.  Check the drag stack, the thick washer goes last; maybe the pressure is not flush.  Good luck.

pullrachet

apologize for bringing up an old thread, but what kinda handle did you put on that 20z?  torium or trinidad or something?

SoCalAngler

Quote from: pullrachet on June 16, 2011, 02:32:29 AM
apologize for bringing up an old thread, but what kinda handle did you put on that 20z?  torium or trinidad or something?

Thats a Avet single speed handle on the Grandwave. I needed to get a Saltist handle nut from Diawa and Dremel a pice off of the Avet bracket which keeps the handle nut in place. The dremeled pice only needs to keep a few pounds of pressure to keep the handle nut from backing off and so far it has worked fine.

By the way this reel has stepped down in line class and I now fish it with 15lb test. I picked up a Diawa BG 20H to replace this reel as my go to 20lb test reel.