Penn Longbeach 68

Started by walknbob, March 02, 2011, 03:09:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

walknbob

Greetings this is my first post here. I searched and could not find and relavent info on the Penn Longbeach 68. I have one we used then it found its way into a gear bucket where it has sat for a few years. I found this site and thought I would dig it out and see if it was considered to be worth a rebuild? Your input would be appreciated.

PS.. it is in pretty good condition

Norcal Pescador

Here a couple of links to some good info on the reel. Yes, it's worth going through and servicing. You'll have a good reel when you're done.
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Penn68.aspx
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/ReelSpecs/PennLongBeach.aspx#specs

The 111 tutorial is about as close as you'll come to your 68.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=44.0

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

alantani

you can change this reel over to "1+5" drag stack configuration.  a stainless steel gear sleeve would be very helpful for this reel.  as far as it's worth, honestly it is too much spool and too little side plate. i would not put any money or time into this one.  sorry.  alan

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1769.0
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

walknbob

Hmmm

Rob V says yea, Alan Tani says nay... I guess I'll leave it in the gear bucket a little longer... somewhere I read they are now collector items maybe I should call the American Pickers to come by :)

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: walknbob on March 04, 2011, 02:50:23 AM
Hmmm

Rob V says yea, Alan Tani says nay... I guess I'll leave it in the gear bucket a little longer... somewhere I read they are now collector items maybe I should call the American Pickers to come by :)
I have to agree with Alan on the 1+5 and the s/s gear sleeve, but the referral to the 111 tutorial is just as a how-to. Also it depends what you want to do with the reel. It would be okay for light bottom fishing with 20# line, IMHO of course.  Alan's the expert; I used my 60 for bottom fishing until I put it in backup/loaner status.
Rob V.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

alantani

bryan said that some guys in hawaii still use these reel.  hard to see how.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

I remember seen these reels on bamboo ridge loaded with 80# Maxima.  Drags locked down.  It's amazing, what I know now, how they ever got these fish in.  They are still being used by guys just getting into the game and do not want to spend too much money to try out the sport.  It can be rather dangerous and intimidating fishng off the cliff that you cannot see the waves coming.  I think we can make them better for folks than when we were using them.  Personally, I was using a Long Beach 259 wiht 50# test and caught a 30# Ulua.  In the end, I set the rod in the spike and pulled line with one hand and reeled with the other.  So yes, drags were low, but you do with what you got and I got a 250 and got a 30#er.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

I have one of these reels on my boat and use it every now and then. It gives a great feeling catching a fish on a 50 year old reel. I think Penn stopped production of the 68 in the 90's, mine is an earlier model. The older models in new condition are sought after by collectors. These reels hold lots of line, making them great reel for bottom fishing, it doesn't have too much speed, you just have to work a little harder to bring the fish up. I also use a couple of 49's, great trolling reels. Lets not forget, those guys started it all.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.