Hollow core spectra on spinning reels??

Started by broadway, March 02, 2011, 06:50:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broadway

Hey Boys,

I recently received my spinning reels back from Kevin (pro reel), and they look and feel great!  Now I have to spool all 8 of them  >:( I was wondering if it makes any sense to use 40lb. Jerry Brown hollow core, put a small (maybe 60') top shot of 30lb. mono spliced on, and tie direct to my 10' of 30lb. fluoro?  I figure if I use the hollow core I won't have to change it out every year... just the top shot and leader.  What do ya think guys?  Also, does 30lb. mono fit in 40lb. Jerry hollow core? Or should I just stick to the mono backing with braid via the Albright or Alberto knot? Thanks Crew!
Dom

Bryan Young

Quote from: broadway on March 02, 2011, 06:50:04 PM
Hey Boys,

I recently received my spinning reels back from Kevin (pro reel), and they look and feel great!  Now I have to spool all 8 of them  >:( I was wondering if it makes any sense to use 40lb. Jerry Brown hollow core, put a small (maybe 60') top shot of 30lb. mono spliced on, and tie direct to my 10' of 30lb. fluoro?  I figure if I use the hollow core I won't have to change it out every year... just the top shot and leader.  What do ya think guys?  Also, does 30lb. mono fit in 40lb. Jerry hollow core? Or should I just stick to the mono backing with braid via the Albright or Alberto knot? Thanks Crew!
Dom
That's what I do...sort of.  I use solid braid (cause I cannot afford hollow braid), splice on a 10' long hollow (5' solid in hollow), then slice on top-shot (5' mono/fluoro in hollow).  I got some hollow 40# and cannot find the center of the darn thing, so I splice with 80# hollow braid. 

I personally don't like to use very many knots if possible becasue they always seem to get caught in the guides one time or another no matter how small and compact the knot is.  By they way, when I say caught, I mean I can hear it as it passes though the guides.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

broadway

Makes sense, That might work for me, too... thanks for the recommendation, Bryan.
PS- I heard that also about the 40lb. spectra. I was told to double over a 2' piece of wire leader compress down, almost to a point to insert (bend first) to open up the spectra.
Dom

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bryan Young

Tried wire and splicing needle.  Either eyes no can see or hand cannot find the center of such small hollow spectra.  Tired 60# as well with failing results.  So I stick to 80# or higher.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

broadway

A buddy of mine uses those needles, and swears by them.  I was just recommending to put the wire through before inserting the needle to help open it up a bit... at least that's what I was told.  Did you see how much a set of those are?  $200!!  I'll use the ole' knitting needles!
Dom

Dominick

Quote from: broadway on March 03, 2011, 06:07:49 AM
Did you see how much a set of those are?  $200!!  I'll use the ole' knitting needles!

Dom:  You only need one, not the whole set.  Check out Charkbait.  Dom

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

broadway

That's true... if I only use one specific lb. test.  Each needle is crafted to just fit one size line.  They are cool and you're right, " how many do I need...maybe 2?!"
Thanks
Dom

Dominick

Dom:  Charkbait has a tutorial on how to run the needle up the middle of the hollow core.  I am going to do it with some 130lb Jerry Brown I bought.  Do you know what is the biggest line that will fit in the 130?  Does it make sense to put in 100lb top shot, or even 130lb top shot?  It would seem to me that if one has 130lb why go to a lighter line?  This hollow core and top shot stuff is new to me.  I am used to all mono.  So I am doing my due diligence before leaping.  Dom

Bryan Young

Guys in Hawaii, this evening in fact, Ewalu Kai, Blackwater's Hawaiian destributor, is hosting a workshop/demonstration on splicing techniques in splicing 80# or 130# hollow to 300# mono (called rub line as it will often rub on the reef). 

When I'm there in a couple of weeks, I'll check out what they are doing.  You can also call Uncle John at Blackwater.  He is always extremely helpful.

Mr GreenJeans

I talked to Basil at BHP Tackle.  He said that JB 40# hollow was extemely difficult to splice.  My recommendation is that you spool up JB 40# solid, and then splice on an end loop of 60 or 80# hollow.  Then you can go L2L to put on your top shot of choice.  Here is a link to a site that will show you how to do the solid to hollow splice. 

http://www.streamlineleaders.com/links/

He also sells top shots tailored to spinning reels, if you are interested.  Pricey, but well designed.

alantani

a friend of mine at a local shop says he has 40# hollow that is easy to splice.  gotta find out what he has.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

SoCalAngler

Good luck splicing anyones 40lb hollow spectra with mono or flouro, its a real pain IMO. What type of connection were you thinking of using, Soto crimps, nail nub knot or what?

For me I found that on most reels I spectra back I go either with short topshots or a long one. With short topshots say around 6'  any knot I use will be outside of the rods guides while casting and on long ones I make sure the topshots length is longer than the casts I will make so the knot will not come into play in the cast also. Like on my surface iron or hoo bomb setups I tie like 80 to a 100 yards of mono on top fo my stectra. As much as I try or wish I could I cant cast that far and niether can 99% of others using most gear to catch fish. I will set aside diehard surf casters using super long rods.

On my bigger reels 80lb and over I do crimp but I really don't see a need for it in the lower line classes. Also for me I would skip 40lb spectra and move up to 50lb as it is much easier to see and work with IMO.

For connecting spectra to mono or flouro using an easy to tie knot look at the Bob Sands knot, it holds well and tests well also.

Edit: The gear I use is convetional and not spinning.

alantani

yeah, you know, that was my thought, too!  i think what glen does is run a wire through the hollowcore just to loosen it up.  then he bullets the nose of the fluorocarbon and runs it straight through, no needles.  can't see how else he could do it, but he says it easy.  he's a sharp fella and wouldn't lie. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

I agree, Glen is an expert.  He is filled with vast fishing knowledge.