Recommend me a braid line 80#

Started by steelfish, April 28, 2016, 11:46:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

just like the question said, I want to spool my FTH40LD2 and fill it to the top with braid, this time I dont want to tie two 300yds spools like I did it on my Baja Special, so I will like to go with a 500yds spool, but Im lost a bit (maybe Im overthinking it) on which brand could be better and cheaper (last part more important LOL), I dont have the option to go to a fishing store and have it spool it for me on a spooling machine.
I have to buy it normally on Ebay and spool it myself.

too many choices

power pro maxquatro = too expensive
Daiwa boat  = I dont know much about it
power pro = really dont like it that much
suffix 832 = nice option but expensive
Spiderwire = not bad, not the best
J Brown = nice option, but checking the rest options
J-braid Daiwa = no many reviews, but its 8 strands and its cheap
Kastking mega 8 = chinese but really cheap
and the list goes and goes.

The Baja Guy

David Hall

Check with pro challenger here, he had some great Closeout sales on #80lb braid 600yd spools.
I picked up a coup,e of them.

STRIPER LOU

I use the standard Power Pro as I get 1000yd spools at a good price. The J brown is good stuff and a lot of guys here like it. Why not save yourself some money and go with a 300yd spool backed with mono and a topshot. If your like I am and change your line out every season it can get pretty darn expensive changing out 5 to 600 yds at a clip. Some guys like to turn it around at the end of the season. I cant be bothered.
Also, soon I will have some purple knobs, hopefully next month and I will send you some pics.
regards,  ..  Lou

handi2

I only use the eBay cheap stuff on my bottom fishing reels. I get it from Espoiden or however it's spelled. It "Dyneema" braid and works just fine.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

steelfish

Quote from: STRIPER LOU on April 28, 2016, 11:55:05 PM
Why not save yourself some money and go with a 300yd spool backed with mono and a topshot. If your like I am and change your line out every season it can get pretty darn expensive changing out 5 to 600 yds at a clip. Some guys like to turn it around at the end of the season. I cant be bothered.
Also, soon I will have some purple knobs, hopefully next month and I will send you some pics.
regards,  ..  Lou

that sounds like a nice option, but I might do that if I go with braid like that its not that cheap and get a 300yds spool.
I normally dont change the line every season, at least every two season and normally just turned it backwards LOL

btw, what is a purple knob?
The Baja Guy

steelfish

Quote from: handi2 on April 29, 2016, 12:06:18 AM
I only use the eBay cheap stuff on my bottom fishing reels. I get it from Espoiden or however it's spelled. It "Dyneema" braid and works just fine.

well Im tempted to try the Kastking meaga 8 super thin LOL (whatta name), suposedly the chinese version of powerpro maxcuatro, 25% thinner and stronger for $17.00 300mts, like 70% cheaper and the real thing., but only goes to 60lb max

The Baja Guy

STRIPER LOU

Sorry on the purple knob. Got you mixed up with another person.

steelfish

Quote from: STRIPER LOU on April 29, 2016, 12:15:08 AM
Sorry on the purple knob. Got you mixed up with another person.

no problem..
The Baja Guy

RiverAngler

Another option. I use Tuff Line XP and have never had a failure. It's limp, doesn't pickup water, and doesn't have any coating on it. I've been using the #30 and #50 for over a decade and have never had a failure. Just another option. 600 and 1200 yd spools are on Ebay all the time for good money.
Parents don't frame pictures of their kids playing video games. Take them fishing!

Keta

You should not have to change Spectra annually.

I sell JB but use and like both JB and Power Pro. 
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Three se7ens

I use daiwa saltiga boat braid on most of my reels. 

I'd stay away from suffix 832.  I've used the 80 lb test and found it overly thick, low strength, and terrible abrasion resistance. 

I've used izorline and liked it, and Jerry brown is of similar quality.  Regular power pro is a fine choice for bottom fishing though.

MarkT

I like Izor Spectra too.  Izor is the original spectra fishing line.  Lately I've been using Maxcuatro but I get it free! Spectra isn't like mono and doesn't have to be changed out for years.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

SoCalAngler

Spectra is a trade marked name when the line is made from materials from the Honeywell corporation. So Izorline may have been the first to have spectra line made for them but other braided lines were on the market using similar materials but not going with the spectra name. I know I was using Spider Wire very early on and if I remember correctly that was before Izorline had their first braided line out. The Spider Wire was really rough stuff and cut everything.

Steelfish are you looking for a solid braid or a hollow? If you will be tying on your topshot solid if fine but if your looking to do other connections like loop to loop, the Chinese finger cuff type connections hollow is the way to go. Even if you splice a piece of hollow on top of the solid to do the hollow connections this will save you money.

If going solid look for a good 8 strand braid, this will feel smoother and not be so rough on you or your gear.

If going solid braid to hollow braid use the solid 8 strand then attach some 12 to 16 strand hollow on top for your loops or the finger cuff type of connections. Going this route will either mean you need to make or buy loop to loop leaders or with the finger cuff type of connections you will cut out around 4-6 feet of the hollow spectra line every time you change leaders.

I think for your application a solid braid will work fine and then just tie on your topshots.

For me I don't go cheap on line as this is one of the most important things keeping you attached to the fish, but on the other hand I don't buy the most costly braid either.

Look for reviews on the braid your looking to buy and IMO don't go with the cheapest thing you find. Good braided lines should last 10 or more years as long as the braid is not damaged so over the life of the line a few extra bucks spent up front could save you money in the long run.

Steelfish I sent you a PM.

steelfish

Thanks a lot guys for your input

I don't want to go cheap but also not on the position to get the best or most expensive braid line.
On my current reels I have power pro, J Brown, daiwa J -braid, spiderwire different test and strand count.
And I have my own opinion on each, but wanted to know your selections and why.
This was really helpful.. gracias
The Baja Guy

day0ne

Hard to beat Jerry Brown and Keta has a good price on it. Have you considered 60 hollow? BTW, 100 HC is usually cheaper than 80 HC.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter