The fish on the side plate of a Penn Senator

Started by Daegu, April 20, 2016, 05:01:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daegu

I noticed that the kind of fish on the side plate of a Penn Senator Special changes depending on model year.  I think the current one, for instance, is a tuna.  I have a pair of reels I bought used that have jumping sailfish (facing right).  Is there a way of determining in roughly what year it was manufactured?

Oh, and before anyone offers the handle color advice, I think that has largely been debunked.

RowdyW

There is no set time when Penn changes the design on the tail plate. Plate designs are usually on there for a decade or two or more.

Tightlines667

This alone is not a good indicator of years/period of manufacture.  I would suggest taking a look around the other threads on the history of Penn reels, and picture tailplates, and consider purchasing Mike's books if your intetested.

If you have a specific reel of interest, post up some pics, and we can give you some help on nailing down the vintage/period.

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

erikpowell

Bula John,

Please refresh my memory.... what's the title of Mike's book?

I think I've been meaning to look for that book for a long time....my gears are getting rusty  ;D

Tightlines667

Quote from: erikpowell on April 20, 2016, 11:47:30 PM
Bula John,

Please refresh my memory.... what's the title of Mike's book?

I think I've been meaning to look for that book for a long time....my gears are getting rusty  ;D

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=17578.0
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

erikpowell

Daegu

Quote from: Tightlines666 on April 20, 2016, 11:34:52 PM
This alone is not a good indicator of years/period of manufacture.  I would suggest taking a look around the other threads on the history of Penn reels, and picture tailplates, and consider purchasing Mike's books if your intetested.

If you have a specific reel of interest, post up some pics, and we can give you some help on nailing down the vintage/period.

Thanks tons.  It is a 114hlw if it helps.  I will see if I can post pictures of it later.

Thanks on the book suggestion.