Finger tape...?

Started by Aiala, May 09, 2016, 10:56:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aiala

On many of my long-range trips (including last year's SOA, I think) I've seen more than a few of the guys wrapping their thumbs and other fingers with some sort of colored protective tape, presumably to help protect against line burn when casting/spooling.

Can anyone tell me what this stuff is, and where I might buy some?   ???

Grateful as always for any help,

~Aiala ~  :)

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

DaBigOno

Most tackle stores will stock them, even Turner's.   Just ask for "flex" rap.   You might even find it in pink  :)
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

El Pescador

Aiala,

I use this product, Flexx rap and purchase it at our local tackle shop. 

http://www.flexx-rap.com/ 

Just don't wrap it too tight, your finger tip will turn white and look like an acne pimple needing to be popped!!!

Fish hard, pull harder!

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

SoCalAngler

You can buy the same stuff at all drug stores, Walmart, Target and even at veterinary stores. I go with a name brand like Johnson&Johnson because I have used the store brands and they work for a few trips but the stickiness of the tape sticking to its self stops working after a few months.

The Johnson&Johnson tape and others normally come twice as thick in a roll as the Flexx Wrap so I sometimes cut the roll into two.

Aiala

Thanks so much, fellas! I just ordered some... in PINK, Ono! (Great suggestion, LOL)  :D

~A~

foakes

The stuff I use for wrapping the handle on my racquetball racquet also works great.

Cheap, colorful -- works.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

maxpowers

I have been using this instead of tape.  you can cut it in half if you have short fingers.  I like it better than tape as the tape tends to scrunch up and get loose after a while.  Plus you can wash these and reuse them for as long as you like.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Stretchy-Finger-Sleeve-Protector/dp/B0057UNQUY/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1462849384&sr=8-15&keywords=finger+protector

MarkT

You can get it in wider rolls at feed and tack stores.  I think Flex Wrap was originally marketed as a wrap for horses legs. You can get Flex Wrap at all tackle stores and at the landings in San Diego.  I always keep a few rolls in my bag unless I'm bass fishing and then bass thumb is a badge of honor!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

bigggfish

I use this stuff.  Last long range trip I think I ended up using all of it (or should I say, everyone else used mine up.) From Amazon. 

2" Vet Tape Rap Bulk, Self Adherent Wrap Tape, Self Adhering Stick Bandage, Self Grip Roll - Black, Blue, Brown, Fuchsia, Hunter Green, Neon Green, Neon Pink, Purple, Red, Teal, White, or Assorted Colors (2" inches Wide x 15' Feet Long) - (6 Rolls, 12 Rolls, 18 Rolls, or 24 Rolls)

$15 for 6 rolls using Amazon Prime.

Aiala

Quote from: foakes on May 10, 2016, 01:23:04 AM
The stuff I use for wrapping the handle on my racquetball racquet also works great. Cheap, colorful -- works.
Best, Fred

Speaking of which, Fred, for years I've been using this stuff to wrap the foregrips on my rods:

It protects the hypalon, absorbs water (sweat), adds padding for comfort, makes identifying your rods instantaneous, and is easily --and inexpensively-- replaceable.   ;)

And it does come in colors other than... well, you know.  ::)  ;D

~A~

Keta

I get the same stuff at the vet supply store labeled as Vet Wrap and much cheaper.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Rivverrat

This tape is also great for rapping the arbor of the spool with prior to spooling up with braid. Much better than using mono for backing....Jeff