WORMGEAR LUBRICATION

Started by Cor, May 11, 2016, 06:46:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

newport

I use corrosion x. It's pretty thick, but not like grease. I been doing it for a while now. I add more on if it looks too dry. FYI, I see a lot of levelwinds, specifically lowprofiles, actually greased, perhaps diluted with a little bit of oil.

oc1

Joe's point about attracting sand and grit is the only reason not to use thick grease on a disengaging levelwind.  I mix blue lube and 321 to get a consistency that is easy to paint on in a relatively thin coat.  If casting a synchronized levelwind you want the lightest oil you can find coupled with frequent cleaning to minimize how much the pawl slows down the spool.
-steve

Cor

I recieved the parts 10 days ago and finished the reel.   Lubed the wormgear with Corrosion X as it is not possible to obtain  321 in this end of the wood.
I will use Corrosion X for the next year or so on all 3 my level winders and perhaps will comment again at the end of next season.
Cornelis

foakes

Keep in mind, Cor --

If you had a good friend or family member traveling from the States to South Africa -- we could send them a sealed new container of 321 that could come back in their checked luggage.

I just use a high quality synthetic oil -- and the LW is routinely oiled whenever needed.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Blacklabelsociety

When it comes to Oil or Grease on a Level Wind or Baitcaster does the Conditions the Angler fishes come into play. Seems Oil would degrade faster than thin Grease. Also seems that many anglers never look to see if the worm gear is lubed or not. I have ask many reel techs the same question Grease or Oil for worm gear and have heard all kinds of things. Dont use Oil it will disappear faster and Grease attracts to much trash. So whats the consensus. In East Tennessee we dont have much grass but down the road an hour or so is Chickamauga which has a ton of grass and it attracts all kinds of Stuff on a Worm Gear. Which is better for each condition on Freshwater lakes. Thanks you guys and this site are AWESOME.

Cor

Quote from: foakes on June 03, 2016, 09:30:40 PM
Keep in mind, Cor --

If you had a good friend or family member traveling from the States to South Africa -- we could send them a sealed new container of 321 that could come back in their checked luggage.

I just use a high quality synthetic oil -- and the LW is routinely oiled whenever needed.

Best,

Fred
Is appreciated.   I usually have lots of orders for hard to get stuff when someone travels to the US. :)
Cornelis

johndtuttle

Quote from: Blacklabelsociety on June 03, 2016, 11:54:58 PM
When it comes to Oil or Grease on a Level Wind or Baitcaster does the Conditions the Angler fishes come into play. Seems Oil would degrade faster than thin Grease. Also seems that many anglers never look to see if the worm gear is lubed or not. I have ask many reel techs the same question Grease or Oil for worm gear and have heard all kinds of things. Dont use Oil it will disappear faster and Grease attracts to much trash. So whats the consensus. In East Tennessee we dont have much grass but down the road an hour or so is Chickamauga which has a ton of grass and it attracts all kinds of Stuff on a Worm Gear. Which is better for each condition on Freshwater lakes. Thanks you guys and this site are AWESOME.

1. Oil if you keep after it.

2. Lt. Grease if you don't.

Abu greases their LW from the factory (lt. silicon lube). But Factory prep is usually a sort of "one time for the life of the reel" sort of thing.

Oil is better, but requires more frequent application.