WORMGEAR LUBRICATION

Started by Cor, May 11, 2016, 06:46:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cor

I am not very familiar with level winding reels and wonder what lubrication you would use/recommend on the wormgear?

I currently use Teflon Grease (http://www.finishlineusa.com/products/bicycle-greases/premium-grease-made-with-teflon-fluoropolymer) yes I know its actually for my bike, but seems to do the job well enough.

Thanks
Cornelis

Reel 224

I use 321 it works fine.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

sdlehr

I wonder if that teflon grease has properties similar to Cal's drag grease....??

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

oc1

Use a very light oil for a synchronized level wind, but you can use something thicker that will last longer for a disengaging level wind.
-steve

foakes

Joe, Sid, and Steve are all correct, Cor --

321, or a light oil that is preferably synthetic.

The most important thing is to clean the entire mechanism completely outside of the reel.

This would include the worm, worm gear, pawl, pawl screw cover, any shim in the pawl cap, line guide, upper guide rod, etc.

Then reassemble and adjust for proper operation with the right oil and just the right amount of freeplay without being tight or binding in either direction.

Keep the grease for the gears inside the reel.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

johndtuttle

x2 What Fred said :).

What I would add, is that daily maintenance can be simply a little oil on the worm itself, then I tilt the reel on one side and put a drop on the lower end and give it a few spins, then repeat on the other end tipping it on that side. This is to get a little oil into the bushings/bearings on the ends where corrosion is trying to do it's worst and staves off more serious trouble.

Cor

Quote from: sdlehr on May 11, 2016, 07:36:31 PM
I wonder if that teflon grease has properties similar to Cal's drag grease....??

Sid
It is less sticky then Cal's but stays on well, even in the wet.  

Thanks for the information.   Its a bugger to keep that thing clean without dismantling the whole reel and removing it first.
Cornelis

Reel 224

Quote from: Cor on May 12, 2016, 04:14:09 AM
Quote from: sdlehr on May 11, 2016, 07:36:31 PM

Sid
It is less sticky then Cal's but stays on well, even in the wet. 

Thanks for the information.   Its a bugger to keep that thing clean without dismantling the whole reel and removing it first.

It would much less a problem if you used a product like 321 and 301 (to clean) the worm gear and Pawl. Grease attracts dirt and sand much easier then a lite coating of oil. If salt water fishing it is necessary to wash the reel down with fresh  water and let dry and reapply a light coat of oil too the auto wind, that is just maintenance practice.

Joe   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

handi2

I've had them come in greased but they go out oiled...
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

tholmes

Any good quality light oil will work. I use either Rem-Oil or Tri-Flow.

Tom

Reel 224

Quote from: tholmes on May 16, 2016, 03:58:35 PM
Any good quality light oil will work. I use either Rem-Oil or Tri-Flow.

Tom

That's what I used on guns for years, I do know 321 is a excellent light lube as well.

Joe

Cor

Again thanks for all the advice!

I have stripped and cleaned the reel 100% and am giving it a complete service.   Am waiting on some parts and will then assemble and oil with 321.

Will see how that goes.   Must say I am not impressed with the amount of time it takes to service a level winder :-[ :-[ :'(
Cornelis

Reel 224

Quote from: Cor on May 16, 2016, 06:58:23 PM
Again thanks for all the advice!

I have stripped and cleaned the reel 100% and am giving it a complete service.   Am waiting on some parts and will then assemble and oil with 321.

Will see how that goes.   Must say I am not impressed with the amount of time it takes to service a level winder :-[ :-[ :'(

Welcome to our world.  ;) ;D

Joe

handi2

It takes me an hour to do any reel..!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Cor

Quote from: handi2 on May 16, 2016, 11:16:36 PM
It takes me an hour to do any reel..!
I am retired and work slowly, otherwise a spring or something runs away from me. :)

Cornelis