Fishing for the first time this season

Started by Reel 224, May 22, 2016, 01:32:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel 224

Ruth and went this morning to the Naval Pier for about four hours. Not a bite but we at least got the lines wet and Ruth got some practice casting with the acid rod I built this spring, it performs well in casting. That is the first rod I built with that configuration and I'm impressed.

Joe   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

sdlehr

Good that your rod casts well, Joe, but the real benefit of a spiral wrap will be seen when you fight a fish and there's no torque on the rod during the fight. I'm going out on LBI surf fishing with my brother-in-law and great-nephew tomorrow looking for some bluefish.... I hear they're turned on lately. Hopefully pictures to follow.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Reel 224

Ruth and I were at the Manasquan inlet last week and they were catching blues and also at the Naval pier last week. We are not interested in catching blues. Wish you luck Sid and enjoy yourself at the Penn tour Monday.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

David Hall

Gotta feel good to get out and get the lines wet anyway.
I'm going stir crazy sitting in this damn chair!

Keta

Quote from: Reel 224 on May 22, 2016, 01:32:33 AM
Ruth and went this morning to the Naval Pier for about four hours. Not a bite but we at least got the lines wet and Ruth got some practice casting with the acid rod I built this spring, it performs well in casting. That is the first rod I built with that configuration and I'm impressed.

Joe   

I was reluctant to try a spiral wrap rod but Stickfish made us take one to La Paz and we got some real nice roosterfish on it.  I was convinced.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Cor

That is something I've always wanted to try still.
I see it as being a bit gimmicky as I've never really been effected by "toque"   I can see it and it does not look nice when the tip twists, but can't feel it.     I think you would have that effect either when pulling a fish, but possibly also when casting, depending which side your rod tip is on?

Maybe its a nice winter project, I have a spare blank lying around, Ill fit a reel, glue a tip on and tape the rest of the guides in place and go and cast with it.
Cornelis

David Hall

Possibly not the most effective for straight up distance casting as it does increase friction through the guides.
But I have fished with this kind of rod and I am a convert.  It is noticeable when fighting a fish.  I thought they were weird, odd looking, a fad, I thought it all but tried it anyway and I like it, since then I have purchased three new rods, all acid wrapped!

Tiddlerbasher

I have been slooowly going through all my conventional rods and converting them to acid wrap. I started doing this a few years ago after reading an article explaining the physics and math involved.

Reel 224

Spiral wrap or Acid wrap rods in my first experience with the build was great from the stand point of casting, I was pleasantly surprised yesterday while casting a light plug,it was not hard to obtain the distance of my spin casting rod that I had the same stile plug on. As far as torque goes I have yet to test the rod, but I'm thoroughly pleased on how it handles a cast.

Joe

Keta

We fish heavy lead when deep water halibut fishing and often leave the rod in a rod holder with the clicker on.  A "normal" rod without a gimbal butt turns and the reel sets on it's side, a spiral wrapped rod stays upright. 
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

STRIPER LOU

Hi Joe, glad to see you and Ruth got out to wet a line. Did you get a chance to try out the big plugs? Plenty of schoolies here with and occasional fish 15/20 lbs. Water is still cold 53/54 deg.
A few weeks will change everything!
You and the Mrs. have a great day!
Regards,  ..  Lou

Reel 224

Quote from: STRIPER LOU on May 22, 2016, 02:53:10 PM
Hi Joe, glad to see you and Ruth got out to wet a line. Did you get a chance to try out the big plugs? Plenty of schoolies here with and occasional fish 15/20 lbs. Water is still cold 53/54 deg.
A few weeks will change everything!
You and the Mrs. have a great day!
Regards,  ..  Lou

Yes I did try the plugs, that was the first thing I tided on ;D. The are catching nothing but blues now and I don't want blues screwing up your plugs. Ruth and I hate blue fish. We are going this afternoon for a while in the inlet to try out the rod I just finished on blues for practice and release.

Joe 

Alto Mare

Joe, nice to hear you and Ruth got out, fish or no fish, it beats staying in. Don't worry about scarring Lou's plug, that's what they're made for.
I actually enjoy catching Blues more than Stripers, especially when they get over 30".
Blues will give a fight, stripers usually come in like a sack of potatoes. ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

STRIPER LOU

Joe, at least you got out and had a chance to play with the plugs.. I was out the other morning and froze my butt off. No big stuff but quite a few schoolies.
Bluefish are definitely tough customers and more than capable of a serious fight and chopping up just about anything in sight! Don't like eating them at all.  >:(  We use to market fish them at Block and sell them to all the restaurant's. When your diamond jigging a thousand pounds a tide it gets to be old hat after a while and becomes more work than fun.
We've had days at the Brickyard when no one was around and you could literally sink the boat with 15/20 pounders.

Your correct Sal, the bass can be a bit lethargic at times, especially when the weather gets warm, but, I really don't find that here as most all are caught on artificials. A fifty on tube n worm or a big plug will smash that artificial and make you wonder if he's ever going to stop running! They have that big tail and brute power to bend the rod right down to the reel seat.

In the early season we like to jerk bucktails and when you whack a 40/50 pounder it like hitting a brick wall. I've actually had them spin me around on the strike.
Its all good though and we love it. Keep working those plugs Joe and it will pay off.
You and Ruth catch the big one's.
Regards,  ..  Lou

Dominick

Joe, don't worry about scarring on the lures from fish teeth.  The lures fish better after they have been chewed on.  Check this link to see what I mean.  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=2997.0 Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.