Penn 113 hawaiian wide

Started by mikeysm, May 22, 2016, 02:30:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeysm

I am almost finished with my new Hawaiian wide reel with Tom's side plates. I need to build a rod to make the project complete. Any ideas welcome mild to wild somewhere in between. Rod blank seat and guides. I am working from scratch.

Mike

steelhead_killer

This is my next project so I am watching you close!   8)
><)))">

mikeysm

I have a rod builder but like the rest of us is down right now with a knee rplacement. He will be ready in a few weeks to work on a rod for my 115 9/0 . I have everthing to finish it in style. We are ageless warriors getting patched up for another battle. Now I need to keep moving on my project to keep motivated.

Mike

David Hall

Can't wait to see your write up on the Hawaiian wide, I got one to put together myself but it's a month or so down the road.

Bryan Young

Hi Mike, what type of fishing will you be doing with the reel? 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

mikeysm

Well Bryan I decided on a 30 to 80lb graphfighter. I purchase a extra ferrule and I will use my winthroup adjustable butt and use one butt for both my rods. I'm not going to use but one rod at a time. To top it all off I will order a set of all american stainless spiral roller guides. I think I can get them in blue to go along with my reel.

Mike

steelfish

Quote from: mikeysm on May 22, 2016, 02:30:41 PM
I am almost finished with my new Hawaiian wide reel with Tom's side plates. I need to build a rod to make the project complete.

sounds pretty cool, got any pics of your reel?

I found a 113h reel with a wide tiburon frame and spool, it needs a little TLC but totally fishable, its not topless but I will also use them on Cortez side plates too, nice to see another wide hawaiian 113h with Toms plate.

@ Bryan, in order to be called Hawaiian style its there any requirements on the reel? I mean topless alloy frame, HD guts, etc? or just because is the wide version of X size of reel?
The Baja Guy

mikeysm

I already posted a picture of my reel in Tom's 113 sideplates section. It's the ice blue and silver one. I ordered a black and gold adjusta butt to match the gold guides. I could of used just one butt butt I wanted to match the colors.

Mike

Bryan Young

Quote from: steelfish on June 02, 2016, 01:39:53 AM
Quote from: mikeysm on May 22, 2016, 02:30:41 PM
I am almost finished with my new Hawaiian wide reel with Tom's side plates. I need to build a rod to make the project complete.
@ Bryan, in order to be called Hawaiian style its there any requirements on the reel? I mean topless alloy frame, HD guts, etc? or just because is the wide version of X size of reel?

This is a new term. We often fish wide reels for the line capacity. Often are jigmasters 500 and 113HLW for PENN reels. If your hands are big enough then 114HLW.

Most cases nothing bigger because these reels are used for casting off cliffs or beaches. I have not experienced it but I know friends that have been spoiled in a matter of seconds, hence the wider reels.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Caranx

Is he referring this to the Hawaiian Wide tiburon frame?
There was a special run that is slightly wider than the Newell broadbill special kit.
Is the Hawaiian wide the same as the T4WEX?
Just trying to clarify.

David Hall

Quote from: Caranx on July 17, 2017, 02:35:09 AM
Is he referring this to the Hawaiian Wide tiburon frame?
There was a special run that is slightly wider than the Newell broadbill special kit.
Is the Hawaiian wide the same as the T4WEX?
Just trying to clarify.

Yes I believe it is the same but has special badging.

Caranx

I gotcha.
Thanks for the info David.
I appreciate it!

Vintage Offshore Tackle

I have one green and one Electric Blue new T4WEX kits for sale if you are looking for one.  If so i can deliver to Hawaii for $195.

Caranx

Hi Randy,
Wish I knew earlier about your offer.
I already have a wex.
I was just wondering if the Hawaiian frame was wider.
Thanks!

Vintage Offshore Tackle

No problem Stuart.  I hope that you have a great season.

Randy