Fishing report 6/2/16

Started by STRIPER LOU, June 02, 2016, 10:04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STRIPER LOU

Made plans the beginning of the week to fish Plum Gut today as a pretty good charge of fish moved in there last week. A quick check on the wind Wednesday evening showed a stiff breeze out of the north east.
The gut is about a 15 mi run for me and coming home with a NE wind against the tide is not pleasant. NE wind in general is not great for the area's I fish. Got the logbook out and found a couple of rips that fish fairly well with that wind and were a lot closer to home.
Got to the rip about 4:45. Let the Slope Head swimmer out with 200 ft of wire, got it in the rod holder and started to put my belt on and got whacked. Nice solid fish around 25/30 lbs.  The tide quit about an hour and a half later and the final tally was 5 fish between 20/30 lbs. Built a lot of plugs over the years, but, the SHS is one of my absolute favorites. If you cant catch on this plug they just aren't there to be had!

The pic of the one on the deck came home for a birthday barbecue this weekend and the ones in the net I try not to handle as it seems to be the best way for catch and release. Back at the dock at 8:25 and on the way home about 9:30.

Fishing's been pretty good so far this year and with the mild winter we actually started fishing the rivers in December. We had a few days where we caught 20 or so fish apiece. Lots of small stuff with and occasional fish to 30 inches.
One day about a month and a half or so ago I managed a couple of 20 pounders which made me very happy. Got out last Friday with my buddy Tommy, unfortunately a late start but ended up with 9 fish all released but 2 and it was pretty darn chilly out there.

Todays water temps were 58 deg. It looks like there's plenty of fish around but I'm not seeing a heck of a lot of bait to keep them here. We'll keep our fingers crossed and see what happens.
All have a great day,  ..  Lou

Cortez_Conversions

Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Alto Mare

Good looking fish Lou, those look nice and healthy.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

David Hall

Very nice Lou congratulations.