Shimano Spray Grease

Started by newport, June 03, 2016, 03:52:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

newport

Hey all!
Any thoughts on it? Just wanting to use it to touch up a couple shimano spinners. To those who don't know, shimano's higher quality spinning reels have service ports on the outside. I don't believe anyone has talked about it here before. The port seems to be located in an odd place on the body, making it not the best place to lube both the drive and pinion all that well, IMO. Any other info would be great. Thanks in advance.

Yes shimano's port is tailor made for their spray grease since its positioned right over the gear teeth which should never be oiled.  My only experience with a shimano spray grease was using their "Whale Spit" in their cycling lineup. It was highly propelled and would've made a mess of the entire inside cavity. It didnt offer the fine control I'd want in doing a touch up thru the port.

newport

Well, finding an online source that sells the grease were all located overseas, but I did buy superlube in an aerosal can, which I didn't know they made. Cheaper and more practical alternative.

newport

Um...I don't recommend the superlube aerosol can at all. It's like I sprayed the insides of the reel with WD-40. I'm sure it coated the gears with grease, but seems like most of it just drained out the gear box, like water or high viscosity oil. It made quite a mess. I'm guessing the same experience 0119 had. Perhaps I'll do more research on Shimano's grease spray (specifically for reels) afterall.

Since the port is only meant for a 'touch up' and not regular maintenance I ended up using either Rocket Fuel's Liquid Grease or Phil Whites Tenacious Oil which I could control and regulate the amount. They stay on gear teeth better than any normal grease does anyway. Frankly I think the port is merely a sales pitch item that is useless just like the ones put on asian made baitcasters like Revo's and Lew's.  I gave up on shimano products long ago.