Penn 113 Advice and Recommendations

Started by spc7669, June 23, 2016, 07:33:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aiala

Quote from: spc7669 on June 30, 2016, 02:19:41 PM
The lever IS backward. Wish there was a smiley face that did a head smack.

~A
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

spc7669

I got the handle in from Adam and mounted on the reel.

I think I want to put JB60 hollow with a short 40# top shot. Any ideas how much this reel holds?

spc7669

The star, not the handle. Head smack #2.

RowdyW

Quote from: spc7669 on July 02, 2016, 09:48:37 PM
But I'll probably change to the 113 gear and jigmaster pinion because it's stronger.
I don't think that setup will work. Use a longbeach 66 pinion gear with 113 main gear & 66 bridge & yoke.                 Rudy

spc7669

Rudy,

Thanks for the parts tips! I wish someone made stainless guts for a plain 113. Sure would make my life easier.

Patrick

RowdyW

Some of the interior parts in S/S are available. The pinion gears in most of the Penn conventional reels are S/S. A S/S gear sleeve is also available (jigmaster, longbeach, etc.) is the same part # & available from AT. Just use the hardened steel main gear & you will be fine. It's a tough gear & I haven't seen any broken ones. S/S dogs are available from Keta.  You don't need much more then that.

spc7669

I have already installed the SS gear sleeve. I can get a SS eccentric jack from Alan at Pro Challenger. If Keta has the dog, that would be a pretty complete package. I would really love a stainless double dog bridge.

I'm certainly no machinist and doubt I could make one myself, but from what I've seen around here, somebody will make it just to prove it can be done.

RowdyW

It's easier to just cut out the plate to install double dogs. Sal has a how to with his regearing of the 113. If you need that much strength you had better step up to a 113H or even a 114H. Trying to prove how much a 113 4/0 can take can lead to expensive disaster. And if you don't use it you don't need it. If you want more strength out of that reel it's time to reinforce the frame. Get a used Accurate or used or new Tiburon frame. 113 & 113H take the same frame.

spc7669

Rudy

Already has the Tiburon frame, 5 stack drag, aluminum spool, and stainless gear sleeve. There doesn't appear to be much left I can do. But it surely was fun to do it.

Patrick

RowdyW

Now to really have some fun build a 113H TANK. The ultimate reel for it's size. A lot of development went into that. I built my Tank on a 113H YTS frame.

Alto Mare

Quote from: RowdyW on July 09, 2016, 01:41:36 AM
Now to really have some fun build a 113H TANK. The ultimate reel for it's size. A lot of development went into that. I built my Tank on a 113H YTS frame.
Good advice Rudy, the Tank could be a 10#,20# or 30# reel, just by rearranging the washers.
Yes this reel could handle 30#, we need to find out how long it could handle it during a fight.
I have the Tank loaded with the latest parts, we will find out... I have no doubts.
I believe we have a very capable reel here, we should all be proud.

Patrick, the 113 is not as strong as the 113H, but still a nice reel. If I were you I would go with the stainless steel sleeve, drag upgrade and a nice handle, as mentioned above. That's about it, if you need more drag than 15-17lbs, I would consider the Tank and go all the way.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

spc7669

I told Evan to rig it with 60# JB Hollow with a 40# spliced top shot. Further told him if he ends up being undergunned, we'll shop around for a 114H and tank it. If that fails too, I'll call Daron and broker a deal on one of his rod mounted tow trucks.

Alto Mare

You jumped from a jigmaster size reel to a 6/0. Our 113H Tank, loaded could handle anything in the water.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

spc7669

Then I need to find me a 113H at a good price

RowdyW

Patrick, you might want to buy new parts to build it. By the time you buy a frame, aluminum plates,custom handle & knob,new chrome parts, custom gears,S/S inside parts, you won't be left with to many original parts. Building a Tank is pricey but it would be something you will be proud of because you built it yourself. Like Sal said it will handle (almost) anything.      Rudy