Newell no letter 322 parts

Started by Swami805, July 06, 2016, 02:23:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805

I picked up a no letter 322 that hasn't seen a service in years. One of the long assembly screws that goes from the inner ring thru the cross bar into the threads in the other inner ring was badly corroded and the head broke off. I'm wondering what I can do to replace it. I don't think they made many like this so finding one may be impossible.The other screws don't look that great either so I wouldn't mind replacing those too. Thankfully the threaded inserts look ok. Would a screw from a 220 fit? I have a few 220s but none with thru screws like that I could try. Any ideas? I'd like to use the cross bars if I can, they have that distintive red outline around the logo. Thanks
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Yogi_fish808

Aloha Swami,
New better quality SS screws are available. McMaster Carr is the site a lot of the guys here get theirs from. I believe you're looking for 4-40 thread size and 5/8" length. http://www.mcmaster.com/#machine-screws/=135t39z Order some extra to have on hand in the future if you have more newells. 200-300 series use 5/8" both sides and 400-500 use 5/8" clicker side, 3/4" handle side. As for the frame options go, the aluminum p332 bars/base will be good (~$45) or a tiburon P29 1pc frame. For either of those items shoot Randy "Vintageoffshoretackle" a message, he's the best guy around for parts and will always give u a more than fair deal.

Happy wrenching,
Kyle

Swami805

Thanks Kyle, These are the screws that go from one side of the reel to the other, about 2" long I think. I have a tiburon frame and spool on another one, I'm trying to keep this one stock. I've been getting screws and all the little parts from uluajunkies, Probably paying too much but it's one stop shopping and gets here pretty quick. There's a guy on ebay selling the same model 322 with a triburon kit, I contacted him to see if he kept the screws. I'm hoping he'll have mercy. I'm trying to see if there's some alternative parts I can use.

bluefish69

Quote from: Yogi_fish808 on July 06, 2016, 08:36:40 AM
Aloha Swami,
New better quality SS screws are available. McMaster Carr is the site a lot of the guys here get theirs from. I believe you're looking for 4-40 thread size and 5/8" length. http://www.mcmaster.com/#machine-screws/=135t39z Order some extra to have on hand in the future if you have more newells. 200-300 series use 5/8" both sides and 400-500 use 5/8" clicker side, 3/4" handle side. As for the frame options go, the aluminum p332 bars/base will be good (~$45) or a tiburon P29 1pc frame. For either of those items shoot Randy "Vintageoffshoretackle" a message, he's the best guy around for parts and will always give u a more than fair deal.

Happy wrenching,
Kyle

The thread size for Newell Reels is 5-40. The length of the screws will not change. You have to watch EBay for the threaded rods & good luck with this.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Newell Nut

I may have what you need but I am on vacation right now. Will be home in a few weeks.

Swami805

Thanks NN, have a great vacation

Swami805

Located some screws, thanks Randy! I'll get it back together tonight and give it a whirl Saturday.

Newell Nut

Swami805

Well I have the 322 back together all cleaned up, looks good,spins like a top and the drag feels good. This is the first reel I've completely torn apart and re-assembled, lots of corrosion, a few broken parts all that fun stuff. Thanks to Randy at vintage offshore tackle for the long screw and the parts reel, a 332 that someone had spray painted pink. I bought every part uluajunkies has which worked out great since 2 clips went flying never to be seen again, and plenty of new screws to replace the funky old ones.
A few things I learned - several coats of spray paint will keep moisture out of a reel and will also lock screws in that will never come out.The inside of "pinky" was perfect.  Paint remover will take paint off of stainless pretty well but does very bad things to plastic. 1 tiny 5/32 socket costs $8 for a tool that likely has no other use at least for me. Finally read the directions before taking on a project, 61 years on this earth to figure that one out.
I looked and I've spent 25 hours poking around this site just packed with great information. I'm that guy who never fixes a reel just buys new ones, plenty of " I've got one of those moments" on here, now I have a whole new respect for them and what fine machines many of them are.
Many thanks to everyone who posts all this information and tutorials. I can feel OCD setting in, next up is some of my other newells and maybe I'll set up to Penns.
Thanks again, Sheridan

Newell Nut

Ooops, another one caught the reel head disease. ;D

bluefish69

I started the same way but on another site. Now there is 40-50 Newell's here plus Penn reels + too many others.

Mike

thorhammer

I have one Newell 5 series in immaculate condition that I got for $20 at a yard sale but have so far been able to resist Newell bug. There are a couple I want, but I said when I joined this site "I'm not getting into hotrodding all my Jiggys and Senators because I have Internationals and I don't even live at beach anymore". That hasn't ended well, LOL.

Bryan Young

Well, if you ever want to part with that Newell 500 series, I'll gladly double your money. 😉
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

bluefish69

I received a No Letter 322 this week for $175 & thought that was a good price.

Mike

stoked4fishin

I too purchased a NO LETTER 322 for a good price ($180).  All I need is a new drag set, including the heavy duty Belleville washer.  Any ideas guys?
Jeff