Are These Delrin Washers?

Started by mo65, July 09, 2016, 02:31:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

I just ordered some under gear spacers from Scott's and they are a different material than the old red spacers in all of my Penns. Are these Delrin? They sure are slick...from the side look like a phenolic type material.

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

handi2

I don't know the material but they do last a very long time. Probably the life of the reel. Those were used after the red ones.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Alto Mare

Not really sure Mo, yours are rough at the edge, mine are smooth. This could be from the cutting process.
Some of the older washers from Penn appear to be Delrin, but snap in two when bent.I'm not saying they're bad though.
This Delrin washer will not snap, but I wouldn't want you to try it with yours

Maybe Mo from Scott's could answer you :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mo65

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 09, 2016, 04:34:12 PM
Not really sure Mo, yours are rough at the edge, mine are smooth. This could be from the cutting process.
Some of the older washers from Penn appear to be Delrin, but snap in two when bent.I'm not saying they're bad though.
This Delrin washer will not snap, but I wouldn't want you to try it with yours
Maybe Mo from Scott's could answer you :-\

Even with those extreme closeup photos its hard to see, but these washers have what appears to be a fiberglass weave with a resin poured over it. And yes...it is rigid...would surely snap. Seeing how your washer bends I'm guessing delrin is more of a nylon/teflon type material. It actually sounds and looks very much like a material we used in the foil stamping industry.(you know...that shiny gold lettering on your birthday card) We used a flexible black board .030 thick as a buffer between the brass dies and the steel plate on the presses. Ironically, we also used a phenolic board that looked similar to the washer I pictured. Not to be left out, we even had the old red Penn spacer material too! :o Wish I had become a Penn reel nut before retiring...as I could have cut all the washers I wanted...we also die cut materials! :-\

Yes...I was hoping Mizmo sees this post.

RowdyW

You don't have to wait for Mo to see the post. Just send her a PM. OR send Tony at Penn a PM.

sdlehr

Funny, Rudy and I were speaking about exactly this on Wednesday. We decided (he told me) they were not Delrin; I had thought they were. PennParts lists them as under-gear fiber washers, not Delrin.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

mizmo67

Penn might have a more specific answer on the material.

All our notes say is "Washer, Graphite"
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

mo65

Quote from: mizmo67 on July 09, 2016, 07:58:17 PM
Penn might have a more specific answer on the material.

All our notes say is "Washer, Graphite"

Ahh...so it's not phenolic. I have a hunch those glass fibers I mentioned might be carbon fiber...as it is often referred to as graphite. At any rate, they look like very nice spacers, thanks everyone!  ;D

oc1

I was looking for a way to differentiate delrin from nylon and found this:

Delrin (acetal) has a formaldehyde odor if burned, burns blue with no smoke and drips.

If it floats, it 's probably HDPE or polypropylene. You can distinguish by burning (acrid odor for PP, paraffin odor for HDPE).

If it sinks and has a burnt hair smell when burned, it's probably Nylon.

Many say that breathing the fumes from burning delrin is very bad for you.
-steve

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Aiala

Sal, I see that McMaster has a whole page of Acetal/Delrin flat washers (they're white rather than black): http://www.mcmaster.com/#flat-washers-(made-with-delrin-acetal-resin)/=137zm6a

Question: Are any of these the kind/size we can use in our reels?  ???

Thanks!  :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Rancanfish

Thanks for reading my mind Aiala.   :D
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Aiala on July 10, 2016, 02:18:45 PM
Sal, I see that McMaster has a whole page of Acetal/Delrin flat washers (they're white rather than black): http://www.mcmaster.com/#flat-washers-(made-with-delrin-acetal-resin)/=137zm6a

Question: Are any of these the kind/size we can use in our reels?  ???

Thanks!  :)

~A~
Aiala, the available dimensions don't really work for us.
The 1/2"  is very close to our 113H washer, but a little too thick.
The ones that I've been using are 0.025" and 0.035" in thickness, both have been doing great.
I believe Scott's and Smoothdrag washer's dimensions are 0.035" in thickness, you could go a little less or more, but what McMaster is showing is just too much.

Penn

What is the part # in question?

tony

Alto Mare

Quote from: Penn on July 15, 2016, 01:38:56 PM
What is the part # in question?

tony
Hello Tony, the part # is 4,  spacer washer ( under main gear ).

Thanks!

Sal