No fish but a good day on the bay

Started by David Hall, July 18, 2016, 12:23:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Hall

My grandson David (8) and his baseball team just finished the season last night.  His team won the league title, then won the regional title, then took second place in the super regional and a birth in the pony baseball World Series.  They ran into a buzz saw from Simi Valley and got knocked into the losers bracket, then proceeded to win every game bringing them back to face Simi Valley in the semi finals. The result was the same as the first time the two teams met and that was the end of the BV Reds but not before they could claim they title of the best 9U team in San Jose and they get to wear that until next year.  There's been no time for fishing until today.
My son (Shane) and his three oldest kids Izzy (14), Madison (Bear) (10), and David and I loaded up the truck and headed to the Harbor this morning.  The bay was socked in with fog and we only saw a couple other boats but it sure was nice to motor out of our slip and across the bay, my boat has been sitting since before my recent surgery, When I turned on my sonar I got nothing but a black screen, Mavigation screen worked great but it appears my transducer isn't transducing!  This made it virtually impossible to find the rock piles, we gave it a valiant effort, I know I was close to them just not close enough, we drifted in grids in the area but never found them and it's one of those areas that, if you get on the rocks your guaranteed fish, miss them by a few feet and you might as well fish ten miles away, your not going to catch anything.  So the kids got to drive the boat and we had a good time anyway.  It felt great to be back on the water. 
On the way To my slip I passed my mechanics boat and he happened to be on deck, I told him what was going on and he offered to go under and clean off my transducer, see if that improves the signal?

bluefish69

When you find the Rock Pile hit the Man Over Board Button & mark the spot on the GPS

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Dominick

Quote from: bluefish69 on July 18, 2016, 01:26:39 AM
When you find the Rock Pile hit the Man Over Board Button & mark the spot on the GPS

Mike
or just make an X on the deck.   ;D ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

bluefish69

The East Coast Capt. use water paint & make a "X" on the water.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Steve-O

I usually just take a picture of the spot. That way I can find it when I go back. ;D

STRIPER LOU

Boy, I'll bet it was great getting back on the water. Is your transducer a thru hull type? I have 2 on custom transom mounts and clean them every time before I take off.
Your pkg should get there today. Please let me know if all is OK.
Regards,  ..  Lou

David Hall

I did paint an X on the deck, but it didn't work out, and I'll have to try the water paint trick, I did have plenty of marks on my gps though!  If we had tried longer I'm sure we would have found the spot but sea conditions weren't the best and wind was coming up so we turned home.
Lou the package did show up today, it was like Christmas.  You were too kind in packaging though I think half your shop fell into the box! 
I'm going to get the knob installed tomorrow and post a couple pics to show it off, it is a beauty for sure.  That reel will look like a million bucks with it.