What do you use your black Senators for...

Started by George4741, March 21, 2011, 04:48:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

George you are correct, all 3 have the same drag stack. the 111 and 112 have the same gears,the 113 also has the same main gear but the pinion gear is different. All 3 accept the same drag configuration. These are nice little reels, all  I would do is replace the gear sleeve with the stainless steel sleeve and install some carbon washers, that's about the only thing they need. Sal

Part # for the main gear on the 111-112 and 113 is 5-66

part # for the pinion gear on the 111 and 112 is 13-49

part # for the pinion gear on the 113 is 13-113
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

dblply

I use my black Penn Senators on 3ft. teaser rods...  Spooled with 200 lb. braid.  I tow everything from Strip Teasers, Spreader bars, Dredges, Squid Chains, to monster single teasers...  I've had them since 1985...  They still work great...

Alto Mare

My kind of guy. (Don't get the wrong idea ;D) What are they?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

dblply

Just straight 113 Senators...  I lock down the drags and go...

broadway

Hey Rob,

I never saw this thread, but did notice you said, "black side plated 114h", hell yes I'm interested in that.  If you find out what he wants for it that would be SWEET!
If not I'm just gonna paint one of ny 114H's black  ;D
Thanks
Dom

Dominick

Hey Rob:  I am interested.  Take care of a Cal Guy.  Ex-neighborhood.  Dom
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Dominick

I don't want another old reel to use as a paper weight.  Go for it Dom.  Gotcha Rob ;D
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

broadway

Hey Rob,
      Thanks for the heads up!... Dominick, I love me some vintage Penn paperweights!  ;)
Dom

alantani

bert sent me a reel that looked like a wide spool penn 113.  the problem is, i don't think they ever made a wide spool 113.  i have some parts on order and will try to hobble it back together.  i'm wondering if it ever worked in the first place.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Quote from: alantani on April 20, 2011, 09:05:51 AM
bert sent me a reel that looked like a wide spool penn 113.  the problem is, i don't think they ever made a wide spool 113.  i have some parts on order and will try to hobble it back together.  i'm wondering if it ever worked in the first place.

I the spool Penn? Was it cut and expanded? I can't see how a stock Penn wide spool would work. :-\

Very interesting, let us know how you make out.

George4741

Quote from: alantani on April 20, 2011, 09:05:51 AM

Hmmm, another frankenreel?  Could a person cobble something together like this, using a 29-68 spool and a 30-113hlw stand?  Is that what this is, Alan?

George
viurem lliures o morirem

alantani

a long beach 68 frame and spool was actually my firs guess as well.  we'll see if it works.  parts should be here on friday. 

Bryan Young

The funny thing is that the reel stand does not have any rod clamp holes.  So, the reel stand probably came from something else.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Alan, Is the spool the 29L-113HLW or as it been customized?

alantani

should have taken pictures but i've been swamped lately.  so bert had a VERY old black 113 side plate with the old style bridge plate and gear sleeve.  the shaft supporting the gear sleeve has a smaller diameter than the new ones.  that means the stainless steel gear sleeves do not fit.  it even had a 114h style dog and spring.  i ordered a new bridge, installed a stainless steel gear sleeve and a new pinion gear.  bert already had a new main gear.  when you change one gear, you always have to change the other. 

now the reel works perfectly.  the only question remaining is what spool was on this reel.  i checked and saw that the spool for the penn 113 blackie is a 29m-67.  that is the same spool found in the long beach 67.  the larger long beach reels and the senator 113 all use the same #26-60 right side plate bearing (actually a bushing).  so i think you have an option of a narrow (long beach 66), standard (long beach 67) or wide (long beach 68) spool for the penn 113.  as far as the bars and the reel seats, the you have a standard width already.  the wide bars and reel seat for the penn 113hlw.  the problem is now the narrow spool frame.   we already have the bars from the narrow long beach 66.  now we just need a reel seat that will accomodate 6 screws.