What do you use your black Senators for...

Started by George4741, March 21, 2011, 04:48:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George4741

...a paper weight?

I never see the black Senators mentioned on those lists of recommended tackle for long range tuna trips out of San Diego.  Are they too much "old school"?  Is the line retrieve ratio too slow and not adequate for such fishing? 

Penn still sells some of the black Senators.  Who buys them and what do they get used for?

I have an older 6/0 and 9/0, but found them too big for the bottom fishing I do.

Regards,
George
viurem lliures o morirem

akfish

The black 4/0 and 6/0 have slower retrieves and less drag than the comparable red models. The black 4/0, especially, is outdated by modern standards -- a 21 gear ratio and only about 10 pounds of max drag. Penn never made a red, high speed 9/0 so the only 9/0 from Penn is the black one. It has the same drag washers and same main gear as the red 6/0. If you fish all mono, you might want the capacity of a 9/0 but if you fish braid, there's really no reason to use a 9/0.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Alto Mare

George, if you run in to some of those larger black plate reels with the 3 piece spool , hold on to them , they're worth some money. They need to be in good condition though. ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Norcal Pescador

Only have one, the 111, and it's for bottom fishing to 100 foot max depth. Kolekar 2/0 grip, s/s gear sleeve, 1+5 drag stack, and 30# mono on a 7 foot Penn Power Stick rod. 8)
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Norcal Pescador

Off the topic a bit, but I saw a black sideplate 114H while visiting rellies in San Diego. It looked and felt pretty good, spooled with mono and all.  It was on the shelf as an artifact, probably could be bought at a handsome price.  :o :o    Need one, Dom?
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

kamuwela

here in hawaii people use them for trolling 9/0 up to 16/0 mostly 12/0 and 14/0. there are a ton of those reels left around. it is my understanding that penn has stoped making the 12/0, 14/0.

Alto Mare

I have some in my collection. I only fish with Penn, as for the black plates, I use a couple of 49M for trolling, 3.5:1 gear ratio and 350 yd. 36lb. mono. Nice reels!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Gman_WC

I used the 113 black senator for Salmon trolling in norcal for years when I was younger.
Nothing like a low geared 2:1 for pulling up that 2.5# ball.
Many slug's were guided into the net by it.  ::)  -g
Walnut Creek, CA

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Gman_WC

I was bitten by the bug and just got an early start Alan!
It's a sickness   :P
-g
Walnut Creek, CA

Doug

I have a 111 senator thats been in use for over 60 years. This reel was a training reel for me , my kids and my grand kids. I use this reel more today than ever for all bottom fishing, everything from strippers ,blue fish, cod ,seabass ,fluke and everything in between.This reel because of its slow speed is not good for jigging . Thanks to this site and the members here I was able to recently rebuild it and now its better than new. The truly intresting thing is that this reel was used on and off  for over 60 years and never cracked open for service until I found this site and was still pretty clean inside and working OK even with half of the drag stack fused.  It was  cared for ,washed and oiled etc but nothing special. If only cars  and other things today were made like this . Doug

Alto Mare

Doug,  I'm a Penn guy myself and still use them today. They sure don't make them like they used to. Looks like that 111 has  lots of sentimental values.....(beautiful). I'm going to recommend that you get yourself one of those eyed rod clamps and tie a string on it for when the little guys use it. Last year one of my son's buddy lost one of my rod and reel in the ocean,  I told him that it was ok, I didn't want to discourage him, but boy did that hurt. Nice to have you with us,take care, Sal :)

Doug

Thanks Sal  I have the newer rod clamps on all my reels with the eye hook but for different reasons. I use my 111 ,a 500 jigmaster on a 99 triburon frame newell gears and a 145 also on a triburon frame all with expensive guts and handles. All my penns have stainless gear sleves yokes and carbontex drags and washers from smooooth drag a lot of money invested in old stuff but I love it. I fish mainly party boats and this last year a number of my old friends had their stuff stotelen while on the way back from fishing, you leave your rod and reel outside  in rod holder on the way back to the dock and you never know whats going to happen. I fish with the same boats every year and everyone knows me the captains and the mates are very concerned by this . I have seen the cops called and a few people arrested but I take no chances.I eigther tie things down to the rail or break it down and bring it inside with me. By the way I should post some pictures my old penns( if i figure how )they draw  a lot of attention on the boats in spite of  a lot regulars using expensive avets raptors and  Sx's  etc

George4741

I'm glad to see that others fish with their "Old School" black Senators.  I plan to use my 111 for bottom fishing this year.  My 114 and 115 will probably sit on the shelf, as they are overkill. 

I just realized that the 111, 112, and 113 Senators have similar gearing and drag systems, so the main difference between them is line capacity (correct me if I'm wrong).  George
viurem lliures o morirem