What do you use your black Senators for...

Started by George4741, March 21, 2011, 04:48:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Do you think it's worth the effort? :-\  I would use it for parts. Just my opinion. ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

to have a unique reel?  absolutely! 

so it looks like the 49 mariner spool will fit as well.  you can use the bars from the 49.  we now need reel seats for 2 narrower spools.  first guess?  a newell seat might work. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Alan, when you're  talking about the 49 fitting , you're not talking about the actual spool correct? the 49 spool is a narrow 114, the spool is 3 3/8" wide and the width on a 113 spool is 2 7/8".

I'm going to recommend that he uses the 29m-67, this spool is the same size as a standard 113 and the stock stand will fit with no problems.

I have a few new 29m-67 in my bin , I could let him have one  at a good price, I also have stands if  needed.
The only problem is that I only ship in USA, sorry I don't have time to stand in line at the P.O. or fill forms.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

bert wanted to use the wide spool because it was already loaded with spectra.  alot of spectra!

Alto Mare

Not a problem, I'm here to help (if needed).

George4741

Quote from: alantani on April 24, 2011, 11:35:42 PM
  the problem is now the narrow spool frame.   we already have the bars from the narrow long beach 66.  now we just need a reel seat that will accomodate 6 screws. 

The only 6 screw reel seat with the Long Beach 66 width, that I'm aware of, is the 99 Silver Beach.  It won't fit the 113 side plates-I've tried it.

I'm surprised, and pleased, that someone would put time and money into a black Senator 113.  I didn't think anyone else used or cared about these archaic reels anymore.  I just bought an old 113 and will rebuild the drag stack to a 5+1 and replace the gear sleeve with stainless.  I might even take it on my next fishing trip.   

George
viurem lliures o morirem

alantani

put 3, maybe 4 hours, into bert's reel.  it was starting to get personal.....

Alto Mare

The only 6 screw reel seat with the Long Beach 66 width, that I'm aware of, is the 99 Silver Beach.  It won't fit the 113 side plates-I've tried it.

I'm surprised, and pleased, that someone would put time and money into a black Senator 113.  I didn't think anyone else used or cared about these archaic reels anymore.  I just bought an old 113 and will rebuild the drag stack to a 5+1 and replace the gear sleeve with stainless.  I might even take it on my next fishing trip.   

George
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure that the only stand that will fit the 113 is the# 30-113, you can also use the full frame# 183-113. If you try to use something different, it will create a lot of headaches as Alan is showing us. You can customize the reel, but I don't think it's worth it. You could install the wide stand # 30-113HLW, but you will than need a machinist to cut the standard spool in the center and extand it to the proper lenght, the stock spool won't work, the spool shaft won't fit the left and right side bushings. As I already mentioned this, I would go with the 29m-67 for the spool and the 30-113 for stand and be done with it. Just my 2 cents
By the way the stock spool for the 113 is 29m-113 but it is identical to the 29m-67, they just have different numbers stamped on them.

Alto Mare

I checked the 68 spool #29-68 so this is what we have. On the 113 black you have the same options as the 113H red plate using the correct spool. Alan already mentioned this, the #29m-113 or 29m-67spool will work with the stand #30-113 this would make the reel a standard 113, the 29m-68 would work with the stand #30-113HLW this would make the reel a 113 wide. These are the only options on this reel, standard and wide. I shouldn't say that, I'm sure that Alan can rig something up to make this reel a narrow version and make me look stupid, never mind I already do that on my own ;D ;D

Harry

I still use my 6/0 (standard) or senator , mainly for bottom fishing landbased holds 500meters of 50lb line, and have upgraded the old drag to ht 100 drag  ...its been  my  go to reel for  rays n sharks under 6ft...have used it now for 20 years and befor that it was a mate of mines reel from new....it has good lucky  history and has been a great reel .

ill never get rid of it.  I dont mind the slow retreve, think its got a bit of an advantage with  rays over 100lb etc.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Harry on April 29, 2011, 06:54:13 AM
I still use my 6/0 (standard) or senator , mainly for bottom fishing landbased holds 500meters of 50lb line, and have upgraded the old drag to ht 100 drag  ...its been  my  go to reel for  rays n sharks under 6ft...have used it now for 20 years and befor that it was a mate of mines reel from new....it has good lucky  history and has been a great reel .

ill never get rid of it.  I dont mind the slow retreve, think its got a bit of an advantage with  rays over 100lb etc.
I don't blame you and I'm sure after we are gone, someone else will get to enjoy it. With proper care these reels will last forever. Isn't that amazing? They sure don't make them like they used to.

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 30, 2011, 09:36:21 PM
Quote from: Harry on April 29, 2011, 06:54:13 AM

I don't blame you and I'm sure after we are gone, someone else will get to enjoy it. With proper care these reels will last forever. Isn't that amazing? They sure don't make them like they used to.
Harry and Sal -
You're both absolutely right. Broadway/Dom will probably agree.  My newest black Senator is the 113HN (does that count?) and it may end up as my "go-to" reel. The slogan at Newell is "Nothing casts like a Newell."  Penn's should be "Nothing lasts like a classic Penn." IMHO ;)  Five Senators and counting.  Don't say it Dominick. :D
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Alto Mare

Rob, I'm not sure if that counts, but I'm hearing great things about that reel. Let me know how that reel is working out for you and maybe I'll break down and buy one for myself. You know it's not easy for us old-school guys to make changes ;D ;D

George4741

Quote from: norcal pescador on April 30, 2011, 11:53:15 PM

My newest black Senator is the 113HN (does that count?)

No it doesn't (just kidding-hahaha).  I have a 113HN and always take it with me when I fish for albacore, but I haven't used it much.  I usually reach for my Newelled Jigmaster, instead.  I like the 113HN "old school" look and can cast reasonably well with it.

The latest Senators to my collection are the 113 (not H) and 113H.  I was surprised by the differences.  The 113H is a much more capable reel, drag wise.  I see what Alan means when he says the 113H is a good deal.

I seem to be collecting Senators and I need to quit it or I'll never be able to retire.   

George
viurem lliures o morirem

Alto Mare

I hate to tell you George, you're in it for good ;D
Enjoy it!  It's only money! Sal ;)