114h rebuild

Started by ReelFishingProblems, August 21, 2016, 02:56:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReelFishingProblems

Greetings,

I started asking questions on the WTB board about parts for the 114h. To move my rebuild/upgrade to the correct place I'm starting this post.

I bought what appeared to be a well used, maybe not so well loved penn 114h on eBay.

It had some corrosion on many of the external parts, but the insides seemed okay.

I bought a tiburon frame for it to improve the reel and also because the old posts were severely corroded.
After cleaning the reel with vinegar it is looking a lot better

I ordered one of Alan's SS sleeves, and with a little filing on the pin it went together very nicely. Now I'm waiting on the insert kit so I can lube everything and put it back together.

Notice the new design?

One of the drag washers was brass...

I may buy a SS yoke, but may wait because the gear and pinion in it seem to be in good shape. (Steel main gear)

I still need a new handle,

Cosmetically I would like to add black accuplates and a nice looking drag star.

Any and all suggestions welcome

RowdyW

There's a whole lot of 114H's out there. I think it's time for Tom (Cortez Conversations) to build us some plates for this reel. There are not enough Accuplates to go around.    Rudy

ReelFishingProblems

Quote from: RowdyW on August 21, 2016, 04:19:45 PM
There's a whole lot of 114H's out there. I think it's time for Tom (Cortez Conversations) to build us some plates for this reel. There are not enough Accuplates to go around.    Rudy

I would love it if his next project was the 114h!

RowdyW

I know that Tom has a few other irons in the fire right now. But it's time to send him some 114H plate requests. Maybe then he will add them to his list. Here's hopeing. ::)     Rudy

ReelFishingProblems

I saw 2 JVariance 113s on eBay, maybe a day or two left on the bidding. Did they ever make kits for the 114?

RowdyW

No, only 113h std. & narrow. They were close copies of Accuplates.

Bill B

RFP...looks like a really solid build, you already have the internals and frame.....maybe add an aluminum spool, either way you are ready to kill some fish......Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

alantani

you and daron are some the first with this new style double cut gear sleeve.  if you have any problems, please let us know!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

handi2

This picture shows the heavy duty SS handle arm from Alan Tani with the jumbo black T-Bar handle from Fishincomfort on eBaY.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

handi2

Quote from: handi2 on August 21, 2016, 11:33:23 PM
This picture shows the heavy duty SS handle arm from Alan Tani with the jumbo black T-Bar handle from Fishincomfort on eBaY.

Keith
Gulf Breeze, FL

ReelFishingProblems

That handle is massive, it looks great!

With upgrading the internals and the frame, should I still stick to the braid size recommendation of 100lb at max, or can it handle larger? Do these upgrades allow the reel to handle bigger fish of they were to get hooked?

I'm moving to Tampa in winter and look forward to the king mackerel runs in spring and fall.  Looking forward to other blue water fish too. Does anybody have experience fishing waters out of Tampa?

Nick

ReelFishingProblems

Alan,
If there is anything that seems funny about the sleeve I will be sure to ask you, but I bet it will end up being user error and not your product!

handi2

I have guys up here in the panhandle of Florida using 200lb braid for Grouper pulling.f
Gulf Breeze, FL

Gfish

Allen, just installed my ss gear sleeve, the new model from you, in my 114HL. Had to file the old gear sleeve "stud" where it made contact with the new pin, as there was too much friction when turning the crank. Could too much grease applied to the stud n' sleeve cause the sleeve to sit too high on a stud? Only took 5 min. to file, and works good now. Next, take it out on the water to test. Thanks, & payment in the mail.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

sdlehr

Quote from: Gfish on August 23, 2016, 03:48:04 PM
Could too much grease applied to the stud n' sleeve cause the sleeve to sit too high on a stud? Only took 5 min. to file, and works good now.
Gfish
I used the same sleeve on my 115 with the same trouble. The hole in the sleeve was drilled just a hair too high, so the retaining pin contacted the edge of the bridge post. Filing either the retaining pin (which I did) or the bridge post (which you did) fixes the problem. It's not about the grease or lack of grease. It's about how the part was made with a hole drilled just a thousandth or two off....
Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector