Avet SX or Accurate Fury 400 ?

Started by skered53, August 21, 2016, 05:09:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skered53

Got the bug for a new reel, it'll be a Albacore and Salmon reel, Albies off the Oregon Coast, Salmon in Columbia river both wobbler fishing and trolling herring.
I already have an Boss 400 and a MXJ,  got the Avet 3 years ago and no problem on the Salmon, also great for reeling in 20 oz weights up off the bottom of the Columbia. Have had the Boss for 2 seasons, wacked plenty of Albacore and a couple Salmon.
I did service the Accurate recently for a failed clicker, could not believe they put it together with size 2 screws. Accurate sent free replacement screws and clicker plastic part. The screws use a size 5 torx driver, yep size 5.  I haven't seen or used size 2 screws since I worked in Aviation ( component overhaul ). I are mechanic ;-)
So I'm looking for opinions re either reel, not that it matters but I use left handed reels. I'm well aware of the difference in how the accurate goes from stike to full, and have never accidentally run the Avet all the way to full.

MarkT

I'd just get another MXJ over an SX. I have both and prefer the MXJ just due to the form factor. They have the same drag capability.

I do love my SX Raptor and DX400 but they're a whole different class.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

akfish

I can't say anything good about the Fury. It's an Accurate, but  low end model. The MXJ has the same drag but faster retrieve than the SX plus a larger diameter pool so it's noticeably faster.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

skered53

I might just have to take the MXJ out Albacore fishing and see if the faster retrieve/bigger spool helps any.

I did rig it to go Salmon wobbler fishing this week

handi2

I have a few of the MJX in different configurations. That's what I would get.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL