The Eclectic Penn 180

Started by Penn Chronology, August 27, 2016, 02:48:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn Chronology

QuoteThanks Mike, actually they are pushing two Fathom 15LW's or 25LW's into back up status

Wow, the lowly little 180 will push the Fathom LW's into a back seat. Otto Henze would be proud! The 180 does give more torque but is so much more vintage looking than a modern Fathom LW. I actually never had a Fathom in my hands, a bit more modern than anything I deal with.

The drag engineering on a Fathom seems so much more advanced than a 180. I find it interesting that you like the idea of the old 180! Hope it works out in favor of the 180.

Ron Jones

The little monofil is the same as the 180 for all intents and purposes. There are a few of both on here that have been built with frames, drags, sleeves etc. They really do give anything a run for there money if you are happy with the slow speed (I am.)

Braid has made the capacity of this spool desirable. Funny how what comes around goes around.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

mo65

Quote from: hurt locker on September 03, 2016, 03:53:10 PM
I like the ease of winding in with a 3/1 ratio. Next on the agenda is a set of 3/1's with a bigger set of drags and a larger diameter spool.

It sounds like a Surfmaster 250 might be right for your next agenda. It has the 3:1 gear ratio you like, but instead of the little #5-155 gear of the 180, you'll get a #5-60 gear. It's a little bigger, stronger, and can use Bryan's 5+1 kit to yield more big kitty stopping power. Also the Surfmaster 250 has a Jigmaster size spool.
   If that spool is too wide you can get the same gear speed/gear size/spool dia. in a Long Beach 60...or a Delmar 285...or even the good ol' Seaboy 85. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Ron Jones

I agree with the 250, but a 1/0 Senator will give you everything the 250 does and keep the narrow stand.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

hurt locker

Thanks for the suggestions. I will decide after I see how the 180's do on the James.

RUSTY OLD COLT

Will any of the tiburon frames fit the 180 penn ?

Ron Jones

Yes,
The same frame as a 146 squidder or a 100 Surfmaster.
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

basto

Hi Michael
On the reel you started this thread off with, you said the tail plate is off a 155. Does that mean this tail plate pattern was never on the 180?
The reason I ask is that my 180 has this tail plate pattern.
regards
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Penn Chronology

QuoteHi Michael
On the reel you started this thread off with, you said the tail plate is off a 155. Does that mean this tail plate pattern was never on the 180?
The reason I ask is that my 180 has this tail plate pattern.
regards
Basto

My tail plate di d come from a 155; but, that does not mean they are exclusive to the 155. The plates are interchangeable and I am sure that some left the factory swapped around.

basto

Thanks for your reply Michael.
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

The Great Maudu

I have been intrigued by this little project since I first read about it in one of Mike C's post. Here my version featuring a new crank, star drag, handle lock nut and screw and a new spool compliments of the Shark Hunter. I still need to upgrade the drag and add a reel foot with rod clamps. This is before and after.

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Penn Chronology

Cool, there are no rules when it comes to changing around the 180. Whatever is strong enough and comfortable for you is good. Neat Handle Mike!

The Great Maudu

I'm just wondering how strong the drags will be. I plan on spoiling it up with 30# braid and trolling in the gulf for kings and Bonita. I'll find out soon enough next time I get back down there.

Penn Chronology

QuoteI'm just wondering how strong the drags will be. I plan on spoiling it up with 30# braid and trolling in the gulf for kings and Bonita. I'll find out soon enough next time I get back down there.

I will be very interested in the results you have. I just gifted one of these to a friend of mine that fishes much more than I do. He has been bottom fishing with for about a week catching Blackfish (Tautog). The fish are not that big (3 to 5 pound) but the reel needs to be strong because you have to horse them out of the rock piles or you get snagged in the rocks. He plans on using it for Stripers next week. So far it has worked great.

Mine have steel gears and HT 100 drags. I am sure they can be upgraded more if you felt it was necessary.