The Eclectic Penn 180

Started by Penn Chronology, August 27, 2016, 02:48:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

Quote from: The Great Maudu on October 08, 2016, 04:42:56 AM
I'm just wondering how strong the drags will be.

If you put a fresh set of HT-100s in...and use 30lb. line...you should be right on target. The old drag formula says to set at 1/4th to 1/3rd breaking strength. That would be 7-10lbs...and fresh HT-100s should get you there. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Alto Mare

Quote from: mo65 on October 08, 2016, 05:04:32 PM
Quote from: The Great Maudu on October 08, 2016, 04:42:56 AM
I'm just wondering how strong the drags will be.

If you put a fresh set of HT-100s in...and use 30lb. line...you should be right on target. The old drag formula says to set at 1/4th to 1/3rd breaking strength. That would be 7-10lbs...and fresh HT-100s should get you there. 8)

I agree Mo!
With a couple additional upgrades, as a ss sleeve, maybe one piece frame ( not necessary ), steel gears,  you could even push it a little more, I say 12 lb.
I've serviced a few for a guy up your way Mike, he does the same type of fishing you've mentioned, he and his buddies like to use the 155 on party boats.
As you know, the 155 is the same reel as the 180.
They absolutely love them, they say the reels feel extremely smooth and perfect for the job.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Penn Chronology

QuoteWith a couple additional upgrades, as a ss sleeve, maybe one piece frame ( not necessary ), steel gears,  you could even push it a little more, I say 12 lb.
I've serviced a few for a guy up your way Mike, he does the same type of fishing you've mentioned, he and his buddies like to use the 155 on party boats.
They absolutely love them, they say the reels feel extremely smooth and perfect for the job.

This or a 155 would be fine for anything caught bottom fishing on Party boats. Most fish are under 10 pounds. My friend will be using it for Stripers in the coming weeks. Here in the New York area Stripers come in the 30 pound range almost every trip and 50+ is not unheard of. So we will see how it stands up to bigger fish. I think the key is how you have to bring in the fish. If you have the space to play him, then the reel will be find, if space is limited and you want to get the fish in as soon as possible, that is where there may be a problem.
                    I have one set up for a Montauk Trip a few weeks ago where I would have tested it on bigger fish in deep water conditions; but, I hurt my knee and I cannot fish until I get it fixed. I has been a bad year for me; but, my doctor was able to buy a new car!

Alto Mare

Quote from: Penn Chronology on October 08, 2016, 10:57:57 PM
QuoteWith a couple additional upgrades, as a ss sleeve, maybe one piece frame ( not necessary ), steel gears,  you could even push it a little more, I say 12 lb.

This or a 155 would be fine for anything caught bottom fishing on Party boats. Most fish are under 10 pounds. My friend will be using it for Stripers in the coming weeks. Here in the New York area Stripers come in the 30 pound range almost every trip and 50+ is not unheard of. So we will see how it stands up to bigger fish. I think the key is how you have to bring in the fish. If you have the space to play him, then the reel will be find, if space is limited and you want to get the fish in as soon as possible, that is where there may be a problem.
                   I have one set up for a Montauk Trip a few weeks ago where I would have tested it on bigger fish in deep water conditions; but, I hurt my knee and I cannot fish until I get it fixed. I has been a bad year for me; but, my doctor was able to buy a new car!
Mike, I don't come no where close to some of the guys here, especially Lou, but I've caught some nice stripers in the past. Considering how I've caught some of them, your friend will do just fine with that reel.
Here is what the 209 could do:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=12247.msg119546#msg119546
The 209 has the same gears. It might be a small diameter on the main gear, but those are tough.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mo65

Quote from: Alto Mare on October 08, 2016, 11:31:23 PM
The 209 has the same gears. It might be a small diameter on the main gear, but those are tough.

I think a 5 stack kit for this gear would be great. Has Bryan ever pursued that? Many guys are putting together these hot 180s and Monofil 27s with aftermarket frames and steel gears, they can handle the load.  209s and Peerless 9s would be hot with a ss gear sleeve and 5 stack, just don't lock 'er down and twist the stand. 8)

Alto Mare

Quote from: mo65 on October 09, 2016, 12:31:44 AM
Quote from: Alto Mare on October 08, 2016, 11:31:23 PM

I think a 5 stack kit for this gear would be great. Has Bryan ever pursued that? Many guys are putting together these hot 180s and Monofil 27s with aftermarket frames and steel gears, they can handle the load.  209s and Peerless 9s would be hot with a ss gear sleeve and 5 stack, just don't lock 'er down and twist the stand. 8)
I asked Bryan in the very beginning, he didn't think there would be much interest.
I would personally love to get some. I made a couple for some friends, but it's not worth the work.

About the 9 and 109, I love both of those reels and have a few, but on those the upgrades are limited.
I don't believe the gears on those would hold up.

The Great Maudu

Here's my latest solution and mod ... a thumb stall. I trust my thumb!

Penn Chronology

Wow, a thumb stall!!!       The essence of the 1920's!    I love it!

mo65

Quote from: Alto Mare on October 09, 2016, 01:18:41 AM
About the 9 and 109, I love both of those reels and have a few, but on those the upgrades are limited.

You're going to have to elaborate on this Sal...and convince me before I bust a reel.:D  Is it the pinion or something...because the main is about the same size as a #5-155. Uses same drag washers too. I need a hotrod 109 like I need a hole in the head...but sometimes ya just wanna do it. 8)

Alto Mare

Quote from: mo65 on October 09, 2016, 02:04:04 PM
Quote from: Alto Mare on October 09, 2016, 01:18:41 AM

You're going to have to elaborate on this Sal...and convince me before I bust a reel.:D  Is it the pinion or something...because the main is about the same size as a #5-155. Uses same drag washers too. I need a hotrod 109 like I need a hole in the head...but sometimes ya just wanna do it. 8)
Gear teeth Mo, the two I've mentioned have fine teeth, the rest have coarse.

mo65

Quote from: Alto Mare on October 09, 2016, 03:36:12 PM
Gear teeth Mo, the two I've mentioned have fine teeth, the rest have coarse.

Ahh...that would put a cog in the wheel. I looked at the gears side by side...and until now...had no clue there was so much difference. Thanks for the wake up call!
   That still leaves the Baymasters, Beachmasters, Monofils, and 209s with room to bulk up...would love to see the 5 stack for them. 8)

The Great Maudu

Here's the little beast with its new 30-49 Rod stand and rod clamp. That beefed her up. I just waiting on the drag washers from Dawn and she'll be ready to go. Has anyone actually caught a fish on one of these? A report would be nice.

mo65

Quote from: The Great Maudu on October 21, 2016, 03:15:12 PM
Has anyone actually caught a fish on one of these? A report would be nice.

Heck yeah...I've caught lots of fish on my 180...but none really big enough to test it. I bet some folks have lunker tales to share. 8)

Penn Chronology

Quote. Has anyone actually caught a fish on one of these? A report would be nice.

I have made it a point to give a couple of these to friends of mine that fish much more than I do for testing. I got back one photo and report from my friend that goes by the Facebook name Backwater Baits. He makes custom Jigs for New York bottom fishing.

Anyways, he has been using the little 180 for Blackfishing (tautog) and Striped Bass fishing. The countless blackfish have been up about four pounds. He used it the other day on a clam chumming Striped Bass day and he had over 25 bass averaging from 18 to 30 inches. So far he loves the reel and has said it has operated flawlessly. No trophy's yet; but, he feels this 180 could easily handle any Striper up 50 pounds. Over 100 fish hve been caught with he reel; but, like I said, no real big guys yet. But, the confidence in the reel is there.

This fish is about 18" and in New York we call this size a ""Little"" or ""Schoolie"'.

George6308

My 180 started out as a 185 I bought at Herman Brooks at Cottman & Roosevelt Blvd in the late 60's at their parking sale for $4. Got it home, opps no star drag. Out to the Plenn plant with the parts catalog in hand. Ordered the parts to convert it to a 180 & put it together at the parts widow. I my go to reel for years for back bay fishing around Herford inlet. I was 17 years old at the time. Changed the spool to an aluminum one when they became available. Spooled it with 20 lb Dacron.