The Eclectic Penn 180

Started by Penn Chronology, August 27, 2016, 02:48:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn Chronology

QuoteMy 180 started out as a 185 I bought at Herman Brooks at Cottman & Roosevelt Blvd in the late 60's at their parking sale for $4. Got it home, opps no star drag. Out to the Plenn plant with the parts catalog in hand. Ordered the parts to convert it to a 180 & put it together at the parts widow. I my go to reel for years for back bay fishing around Herford inlet. I was 17 years old at the time. Changed the spool to an aluminum one when they became available. Spooled it with 20 lb Dacron.

If you would want to use the reel for larger game fish, you can upgrade what you have. Go to a Penn Senator 2/0 power handle, a Long Beach 60 star wheel and a Penn 49 stand with clamp. Internally make sure the gears are steel, upgrade to HT 100 or better drags. This is basic beginning of now having a reel designed for backwater bay fishing; but, now ready for larger fish using braided lines. The aluminum spool upgrade you have already done is a perfect improvement. 

Great under appreciated reel!

George6308

I have other Penns for the heavier fishing, but have more  fun just  drifting around in the back of Stone Harbor with the 180 or 712.

Penn Chronology

Quotehave other Penns for the heavier fishing, but have more I just  drifting around in the back of Stone Harbor with the 180 or 712.

Where is Stone Harbor?

George6308

Stone Harbor is in Cape May County NJ south of Atlantic City 

bluefish69

George

A few years ago you one of my favorite tackle stores moved down there  Peace Token Tackle.

We have family around Ocean City area.

Welcome Aboard

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

George6308

Smuggler's  Cove on 83rd St in Stone Harbor works for me.

basto

I have been thinking about a reel for 15lb mono for light fishing and my 180 is almost mint and an early model, so I did not want to fish it.
I have a 185 (no drag) and a 155 I was not using. The penny dropped!
I took the head plate off the 155 and screwed it to the 185. Light, plastic spool...easy to cast. Instant 180.

DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Ron Jones

Seems perfect for a 15# mono reel.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

steelhead_killer

Ok so the bars are what width on this little dude?

Thanks!

Andy
><)))">

Ron Jones

I'm not certain of the measurement, but they are the same as the 100, 146, 501, 349 etc.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

basto

Quote from: noyb72 on November 28, 2016, 02:36:28 AM
I'm not certain of the measurement, but they are the same as the 100, 146, 501, 349 etc.
Ron
That`s right Ron. ...or 180 or 110.  I had a spare 30/49 stand also that I used. A bit stronger than the 185 stand.
Basto

mo65

Great idea Basto! Now you have nice little reel to fish with very little invested. Customizing options for this size reel are almost endless, lots of spool types, handles, and stands. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

basto

Yes Mo. The 155 just had a bit too much spool for my needs and you can find both 185 and 155 quite cheap.
cheers
Basto