A few Oahu's Fishing Supplies

Started by Bryan Young, March 23, 2011, 02:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

Well, yesterday, I met up with Kamuwela and we toured some of the fine fishing supply houses here in Oahu.  

There are some fine fishing supply houses and some stand out over the rest.  Most definitely, my favorite stop was 5 Oceans 7 Seas where our member Lois is located.  They are willing to share their knowledge from casting to trolling, and even fly fishing.  They house a custom rod building shop and do excellent work as they also wrap for OEM customers under different labels as well.  If you want to build it yourself, they have what you need from whipping rods, fly rods, casting rods, and trolling rods.

If you are in Honolulu, this is one store that I highly recommend.  It's not the biggest, nor have the most "stuff," but definitely one of the most friendliest and helpful.

Five Oceans Seven Seas 24 Sand Island Road, #29. Honolulu, Hawaii USA 96819 phone: 808.843.8111 • fax: 808.843.8119 email: fiveoceans7seas@yahoo.com, Web: www.5oceans7seas.com

Our next stop was Brian's Fishing Supply, 1236 South King Street Honolulu, HI 96814-1959 - (808) 596-8344  http://www.shorefishinghawaii.com/Brians_Fishing_Supply.html  If you are into casting from th shore, this is the store for you.  Brian has what you need for all types of shore casting and stocks inventory to build your casting rods as well.
Meet Brian.

Our third stop was one that knew very well as it was the closest of the existing fishing supply houses focusing mosting on trolling.  Hobbietat,1413 10th Avenue, Honolulu, HI 96816-2772, (808) 737-9582, hobbietat.com.  

Further the trolling experience, a must visit is POP Fishing and Marine.  POP Fishing and Marine, 1133 North Nimitz Highway, Honolulu, Hawaii 96817, USA , Phone: (808) 537-2905, Fax: 808) 536-3225, Toll-Free (U.S.): 1-800-288-6644, http://www.pop-hawaii.com/  This is your place for trollers and long liners.  If you want to buy commercial quantity and quality, POP is your home.  The staff is very helpful and friendly.  If you do not find what you need, see Bryce.

Our last stop for the day was Roy's Fishing Supply,98-025 Hekaha St # 12, Aiea, HI 96701-4904, (808) 487-7690.  This shop was a small mom and pop shop with only two small rows of shelves.  It was the only store  on the west side for years.  They are also the service center for Shimano, Penn, Okuma, Fin Nor, Pure Fishing, Zebco, and a few other reels.  Check out the pics.  They are also expanding into the Hunting side of Hawaii's wild game.

Hope you enjoyed the tour.

There are a bunch of other fishing supplies that locals go to, and are great places ot get your equipment as well.  I hope I can expand on this in the future.  if you do come, please visit the other supply houses and they are all great places to visit and talk story.

Aloha,
Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Very nice Bryan, really enjoed it. Can't wait to revisit, I miss Hawaii and the people even more. Nice job, Sal  :)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

By the way, Alan had a better ending in his fred hall show 2011.  ;D ;D ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

so, march 2012, right?  don't tell my wife! ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

zaconb

Great post and thanks for the information! I'll be in Waikki in August for two weeks...looks like I've got some shopping to do  :D

Bryan Young

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 23, 2011, 03:19:26 AMBy the way, Alan had a better ending in his fred hall show 2011.  ;D ;D ;D
My showing came at the beginning with Lois.  She is a dream come true.  She's cute, fishes, builds fishing rods, and is also a reel tech.  Whet else could you ask for?

Obviously, that wasn't enough eye candy for you, so check out http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1907.0
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

kamuwela

i had a great time bryan and ready to go crusing again. thank you for the lure. i will be posting pic's of a lure that was given to me by bryan. the lure is from his personal collection and no longer available for sale. thank you bryan i will cherrish that lure.

Alto Mare

Bryan, I already know how gorgeous Hawaiian ladies are, I was referring to your last picture, you didn't include the ladies. My comments are limited ( Don't want to get hit in the head with a frying pan). ;D ;D ;D

Bryan Young

5 Oceans 7 Seas is the only fishing shop that has a pretty lady.  All the others have men, men, men, men...

Alto Mare

Bryan, I was referring to the 2011 Hawaii Skin Divers Expo , I had the two mixed up. Even so, they are all beautiful.  ;)

LBG Saul

Thanks for this Bryan, this is great. I am in Honolulu for a day and a half next week on my way to Micronesia. Time to stock up on all the good stuff that cripplrs my bank account down here in New Zealand.

Tightlines667

Thanks for the pics and info.  However, I did notice a few local shops were missing from the above list....

Hana Pa'a, Hobietat, J&E Fishing Supply, McCulley B&B, Charley's Fishing Supply, Kaya Fishing Supply, and Nanko on the windward side immediately come to mind.  I could post a few pics if you like?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Bryan Young

I did that in one day and couldn't visit everyone.

My favorite shop growing up was Kaya's becasue I grew up with a lot of the guys that used to hang out there (McKinley HS kids).  I grew up a few houses from Charlie's residence. I also went to school with Rodney Izuo. Hawaii is a small place for sure.

Hobbietat is there by the way.

Please add. You can also add J. Hara in Kaimuki.

Mahalo

Newell Nut

I noticed Hobbietat had some Newell 600 bridge plates on the wall and some of the smaller ones. I can't imagine breaking a 600 bridge.

Shark Hunter

Thanks for the Tour Bryan. I'll take the Tiagra 130 in the case from Pop's and a roller rod hanging on the wall at 5 Oceans, Seven Seas. There is some serous tackle there. I went to Bass Pro shop in Destin, Florida last year and I think any one of those small shops has them beat by a mile! ;D
Life is Good!