Penn 501 Silverbeach

Started by hurt locker, September 08, 2016, 11:51:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hurt locker

For the past couple of weeks I have been wanting a 3/1 ratio reel for big Bluecats and Flatheads. Finally settled on which reel after I Read a thread from 2014 by Pennreely about putting a 99 side on a 501 Jigmaster. I did it and couldn't be happier. 3/1 ratio and retrieves 21 inches per turn. I put Penn 910 leather drags in it with a 6-60 Ht-100 underneath. Very smooth topping out at 15lbs, and also lots of power. Will add the SS gear shaft and double dog it later this winter. Will be taking it to the James in November for Big Bluecats. Ended up with an Albacore Special that I will have to find some use for. Great reels and I thoroughly enjoy Tinkering with them.

George4741

Interesting that you chose to use leather drags.  Let us know how it works out.
George
viurem lliures o morirem

mo65

Holy buckets hurt locker...what a great idea! I had suggested a 60 Long Beach to get that gear ratio in a narrow Jiggy-sized spool, but this is way better, as it has the quick take apart feature. Now to take full advantage of the stump pulling potential get Bryan's 5+1 drag kit to go with the ss gear sleeve. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

hurt locker

George, last year I bought a couple of Daiwa 27SH's and they had leather drags about the same size as 6-155's and they were very smooth with mono, which I like to fish with for Catfish. So I ordered some from Daiwa and put them in a Penn 180 and it was very smooth and it stays smooth right up to lock down. I later put Penn 910's in a couple of Mag 10's and got the same result, maybe a little better. Now mind you < I fish with mono and it works for me and I am happy with it. time will tell if it works out long term. Thanks

Mo, the swap of side plates work well except I had to extend the 3 grooves to allow the 99 side to rotate a little more for the lock screw to line up properly. I couldn't make the first 501 frame work properly. It would sometimes stick and the handle would get very stiff even though it would free spool just fine. Also it fit extremely tight and was very hard to rotate. I just switched to my other 501 and it was just fine, ????? Will have to figure this out. Any help would be appreciated. I will try Bryan's 5+1 this winter, for sure. Thanks