PENN 6/0 WIDE FRAME

Started by sharkman, September 09, 2016, 05:26:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharkman

I found a new old stock full aluminum 6/0 wide frame part number 183-114HLW.  Will this frame work on newer models or just original USA penns.

mizmo67

The only notes I have about the frames are regarding the stand and the the stand screws:
https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/114hlw_half.pdf
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

ez2cdave

Quote from: sharkman on September 09, 2016, 05:26:46 PM
I found a new old stock full aluminum 6/0 wide frame part number 183-114HLW.  Will this frame work on newer models or just original USA penns.

I believe that it will work on the 5-Screw Chinese Penn sideplates, too . . . NOT 100% sure, though.

By "eyeball", it looks as though the screw spacing is the same.  HOWEVER, I am NOT SURE about the Chinese sideplates & Harness Lugs seating correctly within the frame itself.

I hope someone else can contribute !

Shark Hunter

Unless you already have a donor reel. You can pick up old 114H's pretty cheap.
If you are up to it, you can tap the frame for the extra holes. Bob has done it.
Life is Good!

ez2cdave

Quote from: Shark Hunter on September 10, 2016, 04:17:40 PMIf you are up to it, you can tap the frame for the extra holes. Bob has done it.

THAT is an INTERESTING piece of information !!!

Tight Lines !

sharkman

Thanks everybody. Stand and base on there way. Now just have to find screws to mount base on frame. I will post pics once comes in.

Cone

Instead of tapping the screw holes just get new outer rings. Put in the five screws and leave out the other two. The new Chinese rings will cover the holes in your old plates. Make sure you grease the screws. Its not fun trying to get out stuck screws in these frames! The Chinese rings are stainless. Maybe not the best stainless but they are stainless steel.    Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

sharkman

Got the part in. Looked up part number sent on Scott's and it listed it as a conversion kit for half frame reels. The only problem the kit I received didn't have base or base plate screws. Looks great though. Worst case scenario could drill rivets out of half frame base and bolt on to new frame.

Cone

I might have a base that will fit. I'll look and let you know if I do.
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

RowdyW

If that fails you could try JDL in Boca Raton, FL. He deals in used Penn parts or fishgrain. Both are members of this forum.          Rudy

sharkman

ez2cdave

The later 114HLW frames used the 30-50T Reel Foot from the Penn International.

sharkman

The 30-50T wont work on this frame its too narrow to bolt up

Shark Hunter

The half frames use that thick stand. The stand you need is much thinner.

Life is Good!

RowdyW

Daron, my aluminum half frame has the thin foot. I bought it new without a box. There were half & full aluminum frames with thin & thick stands in different years of production. The stands are not  interchangeable. The frames with the plastic strip on the front use the thin stand & the ones with the embossed ID use the thick stand.               Rudy