SALMON COLLARS

Started by Dominick, September 13, 2016, 10:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

It seems like someone always says something to the effect "what you don't eat .... Why do you throw away the best part?"  I sort of chuckle to myself and say (not out loud) if you want to eat fish heads, fish toes or whatever; enjoy, just don't tell me I'm throwing away the best part.  Well I decided to try salmon collars, not expecting them to taste good.  Wow! was I surprised.  I called a couple of friends of mine and the only one that could make was Danny (Inodan).  Wayne asked me to save him a couple and he flipped when he tasted them. 

Here's Danny, he is feeling good with half of a bottle of Chardonay and a couple or three collars under his belt.

Oh yeah! this is the recipe thread.  So I went on line as I usually do and read 8 to 10 different recipes for a marinade for the collars.  Here is a recipe I came up with and it is a variation of a couple of different marinades.
4 Salmon collars
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
1/2 cup of Mirin (Japanese Sake Vinegar)
1 rounded tablespoon of brown sugar

Whisk together all the ingredients place everything in a gallon zip lock bag and refrigerate for 2 to 24 hours.  Grill on hot grill 3-4 minutes on each side, serve with Ponzu sauce.  You can buy it already made or make your own (google it).  Make sure the grill is very hot and well lubricated or the collars will stick.  Dominick

They should look like this when they are done. 

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Tightlines667

Man, those look good!

*We need to get a drooling emotional.

I may try this on some Tuna collars  someday.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Big Tim

OK Dominick, those look great! And now I know what I'm cooking tomorrow.

BT

Steve-O

Right on, Dominick!

And welcome to the Collar Club.

I do a similar recipe concoction from whatever I look up tailored to my tastes.

Yours look perfect!

BT- those are huge!

David Hall

I think he's got a little more than just collars on those!  Great recipes here.

Dominick

David, correct.  I cut the meat from the head that is attached to the collar.  It made for additional heartiness.  This was my first time cutting out the collars.  Getting more than just the collars is a bonus.  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

El Pescador

Quote from: Dominick on September 13, 2016, 10:33:19 PM
It seems like someone always says something to the effect "what you don't eat .... Why do you throw away the best part?"  I sort of chuckle to myself and say (not out loud) if you want to eat fish heads, fish toes or whatever; enjoy, just don't tell me I'm throwing away the best part.  Well I decided to try salmon collars, not expecting them to taste good.  Wow! was I surprised. 

Wayne asked me to save him a couple and he flipped when he tasted them. 

Dominick!  Yessiree Buddy Boy!  Your BBQ'd salmon collars WERE fan...  tastic!!!!

I was turned on to BBQ'd cheeks & collars during a steelhead trip on the Elk River in southern coastal Oregon, around 2003,
and I've NEVER looked back,

NOW, on any fishing trip there will be NO heads or backbones jettisoned over the side of the boat, I'll take them home and share them with others who enjoy this style of food.  Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Steve-O

Quote from: El Pescador on September 14, 2016, 03:29:37 PM

NOW, on any fishing trip there will be NO heads or backbones jettisoned over the side of the boat, I'll take them home and share them with others who enjoy this style of food.  Wayne

I with you there....the only issue I have is when I save the collars and bellies for me it goes against the total weight of the fish boxes I bring back from Alaska each trip.

Well....solution this trip might be two fish boxes of fillets for the family and maybe a "special box" of collars, bellies, roe, and some other eclectic delicacies for me.

I caught Sea Cucumbers off the dock in June on a jig. Felt something softer than a rock and set the hook. Tossed 'em back. Ain't eating no critter that pukes up its guts like that.

redsetta

They look great Dominick - will have to give 'em a crack!
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

conchydong

Nice job Dominick. Looks like a winning dish all the way. A great under utilized part of the fish. My wife also takes the back bones and boils them and scrapes the meat to make Asian fish balls.

Dominick

Quote from: conchydong on September 14, 2016, 11:04:24 PM
Nice job Dominick. Looks like a winning dish all the way. A great under utilized part of the fish. My wife also takes the back bones and boils them and scrapes the meat to make Asian fish balls.
I boiled the carcass for fish broth.  I didn't know about fish balls.  There is an awful lot of bones to wade through.  How about posting a fish ball recipe in the recipe section?  Dominick

David Hall

I just take a spoon scrape all the meat from the bones, mix up a bit of wasabi and soy sauce and spread on a cracker.  Two cups of this mix will disappear from my kitchen counter in a matter of minutes.  I need a good soup recipe for the heads.

Bill B

Looks good brother.....gonna be saving collars for the bbq this year.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

smnaguwa

If there is some meat left on the backbone, you can also cook it the same way. Tuna/albacore collars are just as good.

Big Tim

COLLAR WARS...See what you started Dominick  ;D Who's next.

BT