The Rockfish Ninja's Greatest Hits (a retrospective)

Started by the rockfish ninja, September 15, 2016, 10:42:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the rockfish ninja

Well, if you're anything like me, sometimes it takes a while to catch up to technology because let's face it, our lives have been a transitional and transcendental life affected by the changes in technology and how we store it. My jazz collection is 50% on CD and 50% on my iTunes (oh God I don't want to sit there and load all those CDs into my computer), as an aspiring songwriter some of my songs are on disk, some are in my hard drive, and the rest are crumpled up in the trash bin.

This holds true to my fishing pictures, so I finally spent a couple hours scanning them into my computer, and it made me want to share some of the highlights.

It all started with a police athletic league fishing trip to get the troublemaker kids ( ;D hee hee) off the streets, out of 20 kids, 15 of them went down with the painful green face of seasickness so it left five of us to limit out the boat. I know I reeled in about seven or eight of them, and that started it all, a love for fishing second only to my love for the guitar. So when I haven't been plucking out tunes, I've been on the water, here are some highlights.

First fish 18 pound salmon.

From there I went on to attack any fishing challenge (or fish) that came my way.

Personal best salmon 33lbs

Personal best all-around fish 93lbs Wahoo

...then took up surfcasting for Pacific rockfish

personal best from shore 19" Grass rockfish (couple inches shy of the state record from boat or shore)

...even some rare shore catches like this pretty LITTLE copper rockfish (released)

...and still at it today (as long as my shoulder & bad disc hold up).

Thanks for coming along on my trip down memory lane.
Deadly Sebastes assassin.

Swami805

WOW! That wahoo is a mutant! I don't know that my 2 biggest would equal that. Nice pictures, thanks.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

FatTuna

Cool pics.

What kind of technique do you use for shore based rock fishing. I'd love to catch some the next time I'm on the west coast.

swill88

Very nice Rockfiish!

What neighborhood is first pic?  Bernal hts?  Excelsior?  Looks familiar.

Steve

Dominick

Pretty cool Tony.  You were a handsome young man.  What happened???  ;D ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

the rockfish ninja

FatTuna-That's too much to put into a thread, but the basics are: conventional reels with fast gear ratio, stiff & fast rods, heavy braid 50lbs+, single dropper, 3-4oz wt, 4/0 hooks, chunk bait, fast reflexes.

swlll88- Visitacion valley.

Dom- Kick a guy in the jewels whydontcha.
Ahh I'm still prettier than you & I don't scare people in a speedo.  ;D

David Hall

I don't know, I hope I never see either of you in a speedo!

swill88

Quote from: the rockfish ninja on September 16, 2016, 02:06:37 AM

Kick a guy in the jewels whydontcha.
Ahh I'm still prettier than you & I don't scare people in a speedo.  ;D

spoken like a v. valley guy...

used to golf weekly at Mclaren park - gleneagles - for many years...  watch out for sunnydale...

Gfish

Nice Grass Rockfish Ninja. One a my shallow water favorites. Even out a little way off-shore, never got one moren' about 15". Those pants in the first picture, circa early 70's?
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Big Tim

Nice!  Thanks for sharing. But those pants in the first pic.  :o Couldn't ya least sported some bells  ;D

BT

the rockfish ninja

Hey it was the Brady bunch era, I think Greg, Peter & Bobby rocked the striped pants look, ....................& yes they were flairs/bells BigTim, look again at the pic.
You must have old man eyes like me. :D

the rockfish ninja

Quote from: David Hall on September 16, 2016, 02:10:20 AM
I don't know, I hope I never see either of you in a speedo!
Hey just look at those kick boxer legs in the wahoo pic. I was 4 & 2 as a welterweight in my Army days.
I'm sure I could out speedo Dom.