Penn 12/0 drag upgrade- trouble shooting

Started by wsenti, September 17, 2016, 08:59:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wsenti

I am cleaning up and upgrading the drag. New SS gear sleeve install was a breeze, have SS dog, and resembled.

I was cautious about the my drag install (from Motive Fabrication). I reviewed some of the previous posts. I don't feel I did it right and my drag doesn't seem to tighten enough.

See pics for review. The top washer is the thicker one.

Any help would be awesome!

RowdyW

Either the adapter is not all the way down or upside down. Drag stack looks to low. By the way your eccentric lever is on backwards.      Rudy

wsenti

Oops. Thanks for that, was a long day.

The upgraded drag insert - I will have to review which way this goes in.

Three se7ens

Your insert is in upside down.  The ears on the outside are cut off at the bottom, to account for the slots in the gear not going all the way to the bottom. 

The insert should sit flush with the top of the gear, or below.  The thick drag washer should stick up above the insert when all the washers are assembled.

cbar45

Quote from: RowdyW on September 17, 2016, 09:09:13 PM
By the way your eccentric lever is on backwards.      

If you're careful, there is a way you can flip the eccentric lever without removing the spring or sideplate.

First, slightly loosen the nut--just a hair but not completely.

Next, gently slide the lever to about half its normal arc, (roughly the 12:00 position relative to the sideplate).

There is a spot here where the eccentric will stay put, rather than flip to one side or the other.

Hold the lever in this position and remove the locknut, then flip the lever around and re-tighten.

Alto Mare

You know, that eccentric lever would be so much easier to use if it was backwards. That would work as you have it, but eventually the plate will wear out at the notched area for the spring. I wouldn't think there would be a problem having it backwards on an aluminum plate.
Maybe Adam could make us one in stainless steel, shaped as a "T" on top, that would be awesome. You could then flip it any way you like :).
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

wsenti

Updated pics, drag still isn't getting very tight. I did have the insert in backwards before, now it fits right down into.

I'm trying to avoid re-assembling, but that shouldn't be a problem if I have to.

Any thoughts?

sdlehr

Looks OK to me. What's the problem now, and what are you putting on the stack next? That last, thick washer isn't contacting the insert, right?

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

RowdyW

It looks like you might need one more steel washer on top of the stack that's small enough to fit inside the insert. If you are using a larger washer it is probably hitting the top of the insert or main gear, or both.       Rudy

Shark Hunter

Your Stack still doesn't look tall enough to me. Here is how I set mine up. It has very slight drag with the star backed all the way off.
Looks like you need another thick washer or a spacing sleeve on top.

Life is Good!

Alto Mare

That is correct Daron, but might still cause problems. I do not have any of Adam's kits for the 10/0 and up, I just don't believe there is a need for those, but I do have many of his kits from the 9/0 and smaller.
These larger senators come with a heavy tension spring, I do not see any on your reels or Adam's kits.
When applying that much drag pressure, there is a chance the star will back itself out without it.
There is a possibility to instal the one of the original, but it needs to be at least 3/16" above the insert, or shaved to the same size as the washers in the insert....Just a thought.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

None of the original drag components are used with the insert except for the gear.
I see what you are saying about the star backing off, but I encountered nothing like that during my testing.
The drag on the insert is different than the stock stack. Mine has slight drag with the star backed fully off.
Within a half turn, you will have stock output. That is all I plan on using.
Maybe one of these days, I will catch something to really test the insert kit.
I know they are in the hands of other Shark Fishermen and I haven't heard of any complaints.
Life is Good!

wsenti

Correct. I used a complete kit from Adam for the 12/0 insert, all old aren't used.

I am going to double check if I somehow did not put the thicker washer on the top, but it still wouldn't be this low. I did have a thick washer, don't think I lost anything in the process.

I managed to get this far, I'll figure it out. I was shooting for a Sunday fishing trip with it, but didn't finish in time, for next weekend now.

Thanks,
Wade

handi2

I have always had to add extra washers on top with most all of the drag insert kits. Even a Delrin washer will help take up space.

I'm sure if you asked some would be sent to you.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

wsenti

The only thing I can think of is that I installed a newer version bearing cap on non handle side. I took it off a 2015 12/0 model. Would that have shifted things away from the handle side?

Interesting in that I would have to add more to the stack ..assumed the kit was all that I needed.