113h 4/0 special

Started by wallacewt, March 25, 2011, 10:08:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallacewt

ive just acquired this penn reel in pretty poor condition.missing left hand harness lug and 4 frame screws.the spool is marked 1.09d hlw.is it made of steel?its so heavy.corrosion all over the outside but unbelievable it all works.!!alans tutorial didnt show the spool,because thats what i wanted to see, he left it out.murphy workin overtime. so some thoughts pls fellas.

paal

I have an old 113H, with metal post frame. The spool is forged bronze (with a chrome finish). It is unbelievably heavy.
BTW, I picked up the Andros yesterday, here it is right next to the Senator (and another old timer):

Cheers,
Paal

broadway

Hey Wallace,

Paal is correct, it is a chromed over brass spool.  These spools are used specifically for wire lining, however, if you don't mind the weight they'll work for almost any type of fishing.  If you were gonna jig or cast I would get the aluminum spool.  The corrosion doesn't affect anything unless you're using wire, and in that case you'll wanna take off the wire at the end of the season to prevent further corrosion to the spool and corrosion to your wire. It can be removed if you leave it in distilled white vinegar for about a half hour.  The green will be gone, and the brass will be visible.  Just rub some corrosion x or another type of metal protector on the spool and go fishing! Wait a second, the number of the spool should be 29m-113h if it's a 113h.  The 113HLW didn't come with a chromed over brass spool... just the aluminum.  Please check it out, and get back to us.... something sounds strange.
Dom

Alto Mare

Wallacewt, Dom is right. The 113 hlw only comes with the aluminum spool, red anodized or black. If you measure the inside of the reel or the spool, is it 3 inches or 2 1/2 inches?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

wallacewt

the spool is 3".dark brown in colour,not black,1.09d 113hlw.reel seat is 30-113w.right side plate has sailfish emblem.113h 4/0 special.
my biggest problem is part #40.on the left side plate its called 0-ring bearing.its been tightened up with pliers and the spool is not in the proper position.there is no bearing in it,but a ss bush.is this normal?thanks for all the help

Alto Mare

Wallacewt, you do have a wide spool. If you look on the inner side of the spool you would probably see that it is the black anodized spool. These spools tend to turn dark brownish when worn. Part #40 comes with a bearing, I don't know why you don't have one. If they tryed to tighten the left side bearing with a plier, I'm sure  you will need to replace it, if they domaged the threads, you will also need a new left plate. Take care, Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

wallacewt

ok,ill soak it and try.ist thought is to put it in a vice and turn the reel.hope somebody up there likes me

Alto Mare

I use wood vise or mini bar clamp, they work great. You probably don't have a set, I'm a general contractor.

wallacewt

hi alto,used the vice,im having a good day.all cleaned and reassembled.made lug out of 20c coin,rust?ha.21lb drag without pushin it.2 screws still missing.lumpy drag.it had ht-100,s?very shiney been locked down for long time,no respect there.how old is this thing? can you tell without a photo?

alantani

my buddy sends an e-mail.  he wants a handle with a 4 inch arm.  i'm thinking, someone shoot me.  dude, what are you fishing for?  deep water rockfish is the answer.  so why not a bigger handle grip?  because i want a longer handle arm.  so rather than argue, i send him a handle, tell him to bolt it on and get back to me.  we shall see what he says......

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

wallacewt

Alto Mare

Quote from: wallacewt on March 26, 2011, 07:35:04 AM
hi alto,used the vice,im having a good day.all cleaned and reassembled.made lug out of 20c coin,rust?ha.21lb drag without pushin it.2 screws still missing.lumpy drag.it had ht-100,s?very shiney been locked down for long time,no respect there.how old is this thing? can you tell without a photo?
I'm glad it worked out for you, I can't determine it's age without seeing it. Don't be surprised if it's only a few years old, later models are not made the way they used to.  Sal

Alto Mare

Quote from: alantani on March 26, 2011, 08:08:28 AM
my buddy sends an e-mail.  he wants a handle with a 4 inch arm.  i'm thinking, someone shoot me.  dude, what are you fishing for?  deep water rockfish is the answer.  so why not a bigger handle grip?  because i want a longer handle arm.  so rather than argue, i send him a handle, tell him to bolt it on and get back to me.  we shall see what he says......

D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

broadway

Wallace,
    The aluminum spool is correct on the HLW.  I've never seen a bushing on one, and I'm actually curious on which one they put on (maybe a 113-blackie?)  Glad to see you got it free... now go get that bearing and slam some pescados!!!  The age of the reel, as Sal said, could be a more recent model without being Tani-ised first or maintained at all.  No respect for the Senator... whoever had the reel before you should be ashamed of themselves for attempting to destroy Otto Henze's gift to us all!

Alan,
   That's one heck of a handle... if your buddy has a boat, and it starts taking on water he could always use that as a bung... LOL! ;D
Best of Luck,
Dom

wallacewt

its the same colour as the photo above.the bush is in the centre of the clicker.i dont really like it,its big,heavy,more like a winch than a reel,but your gotta admire it,its one tough hombre. when i finish the upgrade im gunna load it with 80lb braid and crank something,anything in and win,then retire it.with my 20c harness lugs its gone up in value.hot diggity1 ::)