Time to ask for help

Started by Saaben, September 22, 2016, 03:28:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saaben

I wish I had better news to report. I got it all back together and the dog seemed to be perfect. Now the damn thing will not engage the spool. I have taken it apart numerous times and have no issues breaking it down. When I turn the (bridge with sleeve # 3 in parts list ) the spool does not turn. If I manually turn the spool the bridge turns. So I disassembled again and can break it down to just the pinion ( #13) and spool and it is sitting in there fine. I thought it may have been the eccentric lever (#3) not being tightened  down enough but I corrected that. I got so frustrated last night I just decided to go buy a new one but this morning I realize that getting this thing together means more at this point. I have no doubt that one of you  experts could have it working perfect in 15 minutes but at this point I have close to 7 hours of frustration in it. Someone  else remarked that it took him 8 hours the first time  so I am not alone. I wasted hours of work time watching the videos over and over in slow motion and for the life of me cant see where  I am messing up.
The spool was turing prior to me taking it apart but not now. It has never engaged the spool since my disassembling. Anyone want to buy a 1950's bushings installed disassembled 6/0?
Thanks

cbar45

Are the drag washers completely assembled with the star tightened down a bit?

Those are the parts that allow the gears to engage your spool; without them installed the spool will not turn.

However, if they are indeed installed, then it might be that one of the washers isn't fully seating flush inside the main gear.

If you haven't already, you might want to check that each washer in the drag stack, (especially the eared washers), is lying perfectly flat--one on top of the other--inside the main gear.

sdlehr

Also make sure you haven't put the pinion in backwards. It has a notch that has to engage the spool for the spool to turn.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Saaben

I think the assumptions about the drag washers may be my issue. I have stacked and restacked.  In the first pix I have the washers laid out in order I put them in main gear. Fiber, keyed, fiber, eared, fiber, keyed, fiber, eared. The next pix may be an issue as well. Leaning against the bridge is a "collared sleeve?", I have a spacer and two tension washers. One thick one thin.Any advice on order from carbon washer up to handle lock screw? 

Saaben

I think the assumptions about the drag washers may be my issue. I have stacked and restacked.  In the first pix I have the washers laid out in order I put them in main gear. Fiber, keyed, fiber, eared, fiber, keyed, fiber, eared. The next pix may be an issue as well. Leaning against the bridge is a "collared sleeve?", I have a spacer and two tension washers. One thick one thin.Any advice on order from carbon washer up to handle lock screw?  

thorhammer

try collared then small wavy then assemble then spacer then drag star then large wavy then handle.

cbar45

In the first photo it looks like you are missing a soft washer and a keyed washer at the top of the stack.

You have the order correct, but there should be 10 washers total instead of 8.

If you find one of the keyed metal washers to be slightly thicker, use that one at the bottom, i.e. it is the first metal washer you install.  

Second photo--the collar/cap goes on top first, with the side of smaller diameter facing down.

Next to be installed is the spacing sleeve, then the thick wavy washer, and finally your star.

The second (thinner) wavy washer is installed after the star--before the handle--though some choose to leave it out altogether depending on the height of their drag stack.

cbar45

P.S--

You mentioned the reel functioned ok prior to disassembly. If so, then it could be someone installed the collar-cap upside down, and/or doubled the wavy washers, in order to make up for the height of the two washers missing in your first photo.  

Saaben

Almost there. Okay so I got everything back in the reel and surprise the spool turns and would be able to retrieve line. The bad news is that it is very hard to turn the handle and it has a "high spot" when turning. What I mean is that if it were a clock and turned the handle from 12-3 it would be rough and have a lot of resistance and then from 3-5 it feels like it is  a different type of resistance then normal resistance and so on. I can crank the handle and the reel will retrieve line but very difficult and certainly not close to what I would use.
I just took the handle down again and it actually has a very smooth retrieval without the Collar, sleeve thick and thin tension water and star. When I start to assemble it pretty good retrieval until I tighten down drag. I have  all washers inside gear correctly I am somewhat sure. Nothing would surprise me at this point. Coming up on 10 hours or so. Probably 20 hours on this site and online. Probably could have bought one of you guys reels but too committed now. Thanks

thorhammer

Naw, you got this, as you said, now it's "a thing", and as Sid said, now it's a thing with the forum too. They won't sleep at night if it isn't rectified, and if you just bought another reel you still wouldn't know to put it back together. You're close!

mizmo67

Other thought on possible reason why it turns when disassembled but not when assembled..

If the upper and lower bridge screws are over tightened when assembling any of these old style conventional reels...it can bind up the bridge against the other parts so that they can't function properly.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

Shark Hunter

Practice makes perfect Saaben. You are making progress.
Sometimes you just have to walk away from it for a while.
Ask me how I know.
You have it down to some rubbing now.
I see you are putting a 5 stack in. These normally come with three. If you don't have special thin metal washers. Your stack is rubbing somewhere.
Life is Good!

swill88

This is a great thread!

Thanks everybody.

Steve

Bill B

I'm thinking we all need to take a road trip to Saaben's house in Georgia.....it may not be very productive, but sure would be interesting.... ::).  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Tightlines667

Quote from: mizmo67 on September 23, 2016, 04:47:06 PM
Other thought on possible reason why it turns when disassembled but not when assembled..

If the upper and lower bridge screws are over tightened when assembling any of these old style conventional reels...it can bind up the bridge against the other parts so that they can't function properly.

Yes.. this does happen.. particularly on older reels, or if something isn't lined up quiet right, or a newer bridge is put on a(n) (much) older reel.

I don't think this us the problem here though.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.