Vibratory or roll tumbler cleaner for rough parts?

Started by Whit, October 03, 2016, 05:51:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whit

I wonder if anyone has tried a vibratory or roll drum cleaner, that would use walnut or other media to get rid of rust, green, oxidization etc?  For example I have a Penn 704 spool that is really rough and it seems to me like one of those cleaners might actually do a good job cleaning and smoothing out the indignities of salt and lack of care (especially along the rim of the spool).   Once done, spray paint and go!   Anyone tried this?

Thanks

Whit

RiverAngler

Tumbling is gonna be really rough on your spool. If it is just green corrosion, it can be revived a lot gentler than a tumbler. For instance, the trim rings on a senator, jiggy, et all, I just soak the parts in white vinegar for an hour or so and all the green crud disappears. Just make sure you rinse the parts right off in running water when you're done.The pitting will not go away, but the crud will. Be sure to disassemble the drag from the spool before soaking!

Before:

After:

Ralph
Parents don't frame pictures of their kids playing video games. Take them fishing!

Keta

I have and use both, the vibrating one is better for what you want.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Whit

Necessity is the mother of invention, so after cleaning off a dirty spool in my linewinder with an oily cloth, I realized that I could have a piece of steel wool or sandpaper in my hand for even worse case scenarios. 

So I chucked up the 704 spool and centered it as if to put line on it, set it to high, and just bore down with the 0000 steel wool. 

Took all the corrosion out as well as the painted -but abused -  finish (after the line and the salt were done with it) and smoothed out the spool nicely, especially along the rim where smoothness is critical.   So I'm pretty much down to bare metal on that one.   Now the decision is whether to put carnuba wax on it and be done, or to powder coat and/or paint the thing.

Because of concentricity of the part, the line winder was an option.  I'm still working an what to do for odd shaped parts...  :)

Mission accomplished...at least in part!

Whit

Tiddlerbasher

Vinegar or ultrasonic (with or without liquid soap) work well - I use both a lot (not just for reel parts). Tumbling sounds too drastic to me :-\

Considering that fine walnut is a polishing medium, doesn't injure brass casings and is recommended for cleaning pistons without removing the substrate, why not?