Senator Sideplate screw size

Started by Jason Groombridge, October 13, 2016, 11:25:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason Groombridge

G'day All,

Are Senator sideplate screws 8-40?

They measure 0.1600" major diameter and my thread gauge is telling me 40 TPI. But I just can't seem to find a tap in 8-40 and the sites that I can find seem to only list 8-32 and 8-36 as UN sizes.

Any idea where I might be able to get an 8-40 tap? I need it for a repair on a Senator.

Cheers

Jason

RowdyW

What model Senator are you working on??

Jason Groombridge

G'day Rowdy,

Sorry, I should have included that. It's a 114H.

I think I may have found the issue. 8-40 is in the UNS (S for special) series. When I search for 8-40 UNS or NS I am getting more results. Still trying to find a tap in Australia to buy though!

Cheers

Jason

RowdyW

I don't think it is an 8-40. There was a discussion about that a while back & I think it was a 8-32. Send Tom (Cortez Conversions) or Adam (three Se7ens) a PM. I believe one of them knew for sure.

Jason Groombridge

OK, will do.

I probably should also mention that it is a 114H with the half graphite frame. I don't know if that makes a difference but it might.

Cheers

Jason

RowdyW

Jason, I found the discussion on 114H screws. It is under General Questions & Trouble Shooting, April 5, 2016.  8-40 screws for the side plate & 10-32 for the bridge screws. Taps available on ebay.     Rudy

Jason Groombridge

Shark Hunter

Hey Jason,
Those inserts on the half graphite frames are not worth the trouble.
Personally, I would replace them with posts or an aluminum frame.
Every reel I have purchased with this option got the post or frame treatment.
They just don't last.
Life is Good!

RowdyW

If you go to posts or cross bars you will also have to purchase a stand & 6 shorter screws also. A used aluminum frame will set you back at least $60-$70. New $90+. The inserts in your half frame are 8-40 too. If you are eventually going to hot rod that reel then you should start off with an aluminum frame. A stock reel with the half graphite frame should last quite a while if the screw holes are in good shape.     Rudy

Jason Groombridge

Daron and Rowdy,

Thanks for the input. The current brass inserts are in good shape. I'm trying to repair one of the frontmost screw holes (that are under the stainless cover). These screw holes are only tapped into the the nylon of the frame and one has stripped. I have drilled and tapped the frame to M5 and plan to make a brass insert on the lathe from an M5 brass bolt by drilling and tapping it to 8-40. I then plan to glue it in place with either epoxy or CA glue, not sure which yet. It's not a perfect repair but will keep this reel going for a while.

If I had the money I would definitely get a Tib frame, but alas I don't and this repair will cost me a fair bit less and let me use the reel until I can upgrade at a later date.

I have also had to repair the reel foot on this reel. It was twisted beyond belief. I don't know how the previous owner managed it but it was severely bent. I have filed off the rivet heads, removed the seat, beat it back into shape on the anvil, drilled and tapped the holes M4, then used some M4 stainless socket head cap screws from the top (had to turn down the head diameter to fit in the recess) and bolted it back on. Not pretty but it should work OK.

Cheers

Jason

thorhammer

Hey Jason, where there's a will there's a way....post us pics of this nice work you are doing; someone else will need the know-how later without a doubt. Be sure to include the reel foot repair.

John

Jason Groombridge

Cone

I repaired a couple of the Penn aluminum frames that the side plate screws had seized and broken off. I drilled and tapped them oversize. I believe it was 1/4 x 20. Then I put brass bolts in with locktite. Cut off the heads and drilled and tapped the brass bolt for the side plate screws. It's a bit of a pain but cheaper than a new frame. If you need me to, I can pull a reel apart and take pics of the repair.
Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD