Is this a reef or a reel....you decide......

Started by thorhammer, October 20, 2016, 01:43:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Some years ago my cousin reeled up an outfit that had been underwater off NC awhile...I rebuilt the rod for him into pretty nice shape, but considered the SLOSH 30 toast and just put the parts through a freshwater bath then left in a jar for five years...UNTIL I joined AT. I started working on it about a year and a half ago and finally got tired of looking at it on my bench...

Steve-O

The barnacles do add a bit of "crusty old salt" look to it.  You didn't scrape those off didya? ;) :D

Just kidding...for the amount of underwater time it got I'm amazed it isn't a hunk of rust! :o

thorhammer

Steve, was writing the back end when you posted....finally got cleaned, AT greased, new bearings with Hot Sauce, Carbontex, and a handle I found on Alan's garage floor looking for his accurate covers (thanks for the goody box BOSS!!!!!!). I am debating the conversion kit after seeing the price , but am leaning toward leaving it stock considering its journey. If so I will pull the beauty rings off for a further Ted-style treatment to pop with the chrome handle  (the stock was black but the knob seized and broke; I was gonna reknob but the counterbalance had largely corroded away).

I popped it on a 6'6" heavy jig stick with a 4oz spoon and was amazed to see it launch almost 90 yards across my pond with straight 20 lb mono. looking forward to putting it through the paces on a 12' with a shock leader. These bearings have a cool old-skool ramping turbo sound, like my old Abu's.

Couldn't find a full tear down tutorial on this; should have done one. All I need now are two metric screws to install clamp.

mo65

That is a killer transformation...great work! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

sdlehr

Wow John, great job! Is there a shortcut to barnacle removal, or is it just elbow grease? I would have been afraid to scratch the finish while getting the barnacles off.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

thorhammer

Thanks guys!

Sid, I just started scraping gently with a knife, then scotch brite pad with simple green. I figured I had nothing to lose at that point but you see the result.

Steve-O

And it turned out just fine.  To misquote a certain Book of religiosity ..." The Ocean giveth and the Ocean taketh away... "  looks like the Ocean gave back this time.

90 yards on a short stick....not bad, not bad at all...I didn't realize it would be capable of doing much past 60.

Time to hit the pier or beach with it.

Rancanfish

Looks like you swapped out the parts, nice job! 
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

thorhammer

Quote from: Steve-O on October 20, 2016, 03:13:53 PM
And it turned out just fine.  To misquote a certain Book of religiosity ..." The Ocean giveth and the Ocean taketh away... "  looks like the Ocean gave back this time.

90 yards on a short stick....not bad, not bad at all...I didn't realize it would be capable of doing much past 60.

Time to hit the pier or beach with it.

me either....it just kept getting it...this was on a 80-200 lb jig stick so really minimal flex. surprising.

reelrepair123

wow  john,  beautiful job,  looks great, go catch a big one.    harryk

steelfish

john that's was an amazing work of restoration

how many parts did you changed?

The Baja Guy

Shark Hunter

Wow!
I love a Davey Jones Special. Looks great. ;)
Life is Good!

thorhammer

Thanks, D!

Alex, as noted the only changes were handle, though I could've reused the old one; new bearings- toast, and drags- the felt ones were full of sand, and we carbontex anything we bother anyway right? :)

Everything else is as it was from Mother Mother Ocean. Note that the rings are matte aluminum; the gold was destroyed between the sea and barnacle removal, but I have to decided to keep it as-is without the frame kit and polish the crap out of them to shine with the handle.

A credit to Daiwa on this one.... Newell-level anti-corrosion...only the bearing housings (and only one at that) crapped out.

Bill B

Cool beans brother.....that was a good save.... ;D    Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Dominick

Quote from: Shark Hunter on October 20, 2016, 04:23:52 PM
Wow!
I love a Davey Jones Special. Looks great. ;)

Good job John.  Daron good title.  Did you make up the name or is that a common expression?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.