What do you think of this?

Started by The Great Maudu, November 05, 2016, 06:27:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Great Maudu

I just picked this up on eBay. It appears to be made with double rod harness lugs and is it first gen?

Shark Hunter

It is an old one Mike, but I don't think 1st Gen. They only have one set of lugs and the eccentric would be further back.
I'm sure Mike or Ray can tell you exactly what you have.
Ray shows a first gen in this link.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=17716.0
Life is Good!

foakes

It appears to be a good, solid user reel, Mike --

Put together with a combination of newer and older parts --

Notice the lug slots on the newer outer rings that are actually inner rings, the newer crank, posts, older star and spool, etc.

Nice thing about these Penns, is the way parts can be used from other sources for many decades.

Nice reel.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Superhook

The Great Maudu,

Your reel began life as a 1st gen 12/0 . In 37 they only had the pair of top harness lugs then for the rest of its life they had a forward pair of rod harness lugs . Your outer trim rings are inner rings with cut outs for lugs. Someone has modified the plates and inner rings to have a rear set of rod harness lugs . I can see the 3 piece spool and it should have a hole drilled for a line tie. Later handle.

Daron ,

The photo of the reel indicates that the reel is not sitting on its base but has rolled forward.   Work on the top lugs being the centre line which puts the free spool lever behind the lugs and the crank hole forward of centre.

Ray

The Great Maudu

I saw the position of the crank and eccentric lever and thought it was a 1st gen. It will be interesting once I get it to see how it was put together. Thanks Ray for the info.

Daron, maybe I can bring it over and you can take a look at it.

Tightlines667

Nice find!

I would try to find the correct set of outter rings, and the peroid-correct handle and shelf-it.  The logo appears to be the older style?  A shame someone modified that hard to find headplate.  Then again, I am sure this was a justifiable 'hot-rod' of the times.  The spool is correct.  Photos of the inside of the headplate (where it was modified) would be of interest.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

The Great Maudu

Tightlines667

Wow!

You stole that one.  It may be worth 5-10Xs what you paid for it, to the right collector :)

Everything else, (except maybe the rod braces?), appears to be period correct.  If that headplate does not show any signs of having been modified to accept the rear lugs, it may be a rare, factory-produced prototype, a few years ahead if its time.

Either way, that ugly handle has got to go.  Maybe someone here has a 12/0 counterballanced handle available?

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Shark Hunter

I have you covered on that handle Mike.
You know you are welcome anytime. Check your PM's.

Life is Good!

Bryan Young

He's the pics from eBay
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Superhook

Parts needed : The handle and retaining nut, The Free Spool lever screw , all 4 rings . The correct handle should be like Daron's but with a coin edged counterweight. The correct rings will cover the extra cut outs. If the gears are brass/bronze then it was a '37 otherwise later.

Shark Hunter

Ray,
You are definitely the authority on these reels compared to myself.
My self induced buying parameters keeps me from buying these Dinosaurs.
It is a pleasure having guys like yourself on our site keeping us straight. ;)
Life is Good!

Superhook

Daron,

I like to see what you and the others get up to. Things I have never dreamed of or likely will ever do.  Most of all I know has been passed onto me from the Penn Guru  Mike. Sharing makes it great for us all.

Ray

Shark Hunter

Amen to that Ray.
I just have a problem paying attention to the details.
I love to collect these reels, but I plan on fishing them. ;)
Life is Good!

oc1

I thought that all 12/0's used to come with front and read rod braces.  No?
-steve