Penn Fathom 25n ld2 drag issue

Started by vitis, November 20, 2016, 03:43:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vitis

The drag on my reel is weak and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how what might be causing this issue. With the preset knob as tight as can be without using tools, the reel is only giving about 6 to 8 lbs of drag at full, with a full spool of braid. The reel works perfectly otherwise. Someone on another forum suggested the braid could be slipping but the spool turns as line is pulled out against the drag so I don't think that is the problem. Any help is appreciated.

Sincerely,

Matt

alantani

check the spectra for sure, because that is the most likely cause.  otherwise, the reel is pretty bullet proof.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

reel man

Braid slipping is the most common problem, but was wondering if the spool shaft could be spinning in the spool under heavy drag conditions?

johndtuttle

Quote from: reel man on November 20, 2016, 07:46:24 PM
Braid slipping is the most common problem, but was wondering if the spool shaft could be spinning in the spool under heavy drag conditions?

Nope, not a chance.

With the preset tightened down it should be hard to push the lever forward at all. If it is tough, and you still have low drag likely your line is spinning on the spool.

SoCalAngler

Check and make sure when your pulling line off under drag that the spool is not moving. Place a small piece of tape or make a dot on the spools edge with a pen or something and pull line off under drag. If you have spool movement you will be able to see it pretty easily once you mark the spool. If the spool does not move then most likely you have braid issues but if the spool is in fact moving when line comes off the reel you have bigger issues.

Like stated by John if you crank the preset knob to full it should be very hard to move the lever because you will have the drag set way over manufactures specs.

I'm not sure how well you know lever drag reels but when you adjust the preset knob you have the reel in freespool right?

jzman

If I remember correctly, doesn't the fathom lever drag series have a hole in the spool for braid?  If you used the hole, then the braid shouldn't slip.

mley1

Quote from: jzman on November 21, 2016, 02:49:04 AM
If I remember correctly, doesn't the fathom lever drag series have a hole in the spool for braid?  If you used the hole, then the braid shouldn't slip.

Mine do. I used it when I loaded braid on both my Penn lever drags.
Good luck fishing,

Marty

vitis

Thanks for the various suggestions. I am visiting family in San Diego right now (I live in Fresno) but I brought the reel with me so took it to Squidco to make sure the reel is not working and I am not crazy. They did confirm it is not working so I will be sending it in to Penn. It seems like the preset knob does not turn enough before it bottoms out. With the preset knob tightened all the way there isn't a lot of pressure on the lever pushing it to full and the maximum drag (at full) is only 6 to 8 lbs as I stated before. The spool does turn when line is pulled against the drag so the spectra is not slipping. I think it is still under warranty but not sure. Going to have to dig around to try and find the receipt.

Matt

Bryan Young

One of my friends is having similar issues with a Squal LD.  I wish I had my hands on a reel and this is just stumping me.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Penn

Quote from: vitis on November 22, 2016, 08:27:01 PM
Thanks for the various suggestions. I am visiting family in San Diego right now (I live in Fresno) but I brought the reel with me so took it to Squidco to make sure the reel is not working and I am not crazy. They did confirm it is not working so I will be sending it in to Penn. It seems like the preset knob does not turn enough before it bottoms out. With the preset knob tightened all the way there isn't a lot of pressure on the lever pushing it to full and the maximum drag (at full) is only 6 to 8 lbs as I stated before. The spool does turn when line is pulled against the drag so the spectra is not slipping. I think it is still under warranty but not sure. Going to have to dig around to try and find the receipt.

Matt

Matt,

If you haven't already mailed it, I would recommend taking the reel to one of our authorized Repair Centers in SoCal.  If you would rather send it to us mark it to my Attention, thanks.

tony

vitis

Tony, thanks, I did not know I could take it someplace in person when I brought it to Squidco. Someone else suggested Fisherman's Landing, so I will try to drop by there later this week if they are open. Otherwise I will send it to your attention.

Matt

vitis

Brought the reel by Fisherman's Landing today. They verified it was not working but were not able to fix on the spot. I won't have time to take it anywhere else before returning to Fresno so I will send it in for repair.

M.

joel8080

Tony

Please let us know what the problem was, and the fix so if any one else has the problem we will not bother you and we fix it ourselves.

Joel8080
Oceanside,California