Avet JX uneven drag. Help

Started by nlam004, November 30, 2016, 01:55:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

Mark,
I appreciate your reply and input. I had no Idea you were involved with Avet so extensively.
I removed my original Blanket Statement.
You Say TRX 50W. Is this the Quad reel?
I am leaning toward the Pro 80W model.
It has the Capacity and more than enough drag.
I was searching for a picture of an 80W in Silver and this popped up.? I recognize that Ugly Mug Anywhere. ;D

Life is Good!

Rivverrat

For what ever it is worth coming from an inlander I agree with SoCal.
A friend of mine has 3 regular Avet JX's has had them for several years & fishes as much or more than myself. Never has he had an issue of any kind. He fishes them within their specs & they have been fine. He also goes to Prince Edward twice a year also fishes South America. Some of the fish he's caught are just completely unbelievable to me. His favorite reel for the biggest of fish, is a T-rex 50 wide. This from a man that knows reels & could afford any reel or number of reels he wants.
He has told me his thoughts on the 80's & 130's. He says, they are great reels for people that may not wish or are unable to take advantage of all the available drag capacity of the T-rex 50's & can fish the 80's & 130's at 25 - 30 lbs. or less drag taking advantage of their line capacity.

Every one I know such as Mark owner of Charkbait & owners of other shops speak very well of Avets big reels. This from people who dont care what brand you buy. It is a very rare thing to hear of them breaking or blowing up,failing with out cause. I believe any one thinking their smaller reels issues in most cases is unrelated to the person using them needs to look further into it....Jeff

Keta

That is one of my favorite photos, the reel is a MXJ set up for 25#.

Jeff, Avet reels have some issues but so do all makes of reel when you get as nit picky as we can be.  One of the things I find that damage an Avet is people fishing them beyond their designed ratings.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Rivverrat

Quote from: Keta on December 03, 2016, 06:21:04 PM

Jeff, Avet reels have some issues .....One of the things I find that damage an Avet is people fishing them beyond their designed ratings.
Yes, Lee but that issue is one of the user & not so much the reel. One may not like the specs of their standard reels. But fished within those specs these are very dependable reels.
What kept me from making them my go to reel is my desire fir more drag & the low gear is not low enough for my use. This isnt true once you get into HX & bigger Avet reels...Jeff

Keta

I would suggest a JX Raptor, I have a HXJ Raptor for mid depth Halibut and love it.  

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Rivverrat

Dont own one. The Hxj Raptor has always had my attention. I'll have one or 3 at some point....Jeff

Keta

Quote from: Rivverrat on December 03, 2016, 08:15:28 PM
Dont own one. The Hxj Raptor has always had my attention. I'll have one or 3 at some point....Jeff

You can run them in the mid drag range and not stress the reel.

Mark Twain

Rivverrat

I played with one for a couple of days. Didnt seem like 25 lbs. of drag was a burden on it at all....Jeff

Meanwhile

Did the OP get this issue fixed?  I also have a JX and it does the same.  I sent it back to Avet with an expkanation, they sent it back without any note.  It still does tge uneven drag pull.  I just fish it.  It lands albacore just fine.  Some day I'll replace some parts to see if it makes a difference. 

I don't believe in Avet service.  I send my issue reels to Lee.  :)

Randy

Keta

Thank you Randy.  I have got to get up this year and fish with you, hopefuly the ocean will play nice.

Mark Twain

MarkT

I have the SX and MXJ single speeds. The JX 6/3 and the SX, JX and HX Raptors. I replaced the pinion bearing in the HX Raptor. It's an early one with a smaller bearing.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

SoCalAngler

Yes Daron the TRX or as we called them T-rex all have the quad drag design. It is sort of the same design as the Accurate twin drag system but instead of one drag surface on each side of the spool that Accurate uses the Avet TRX uses a double drag system on both sides of the spool. The Rarptor line of reels use the double drag system on the handle side only.

akfish

Not quite correct on the Raptors: The have one free floating carbon fiber drag washer on the right side of the spool, but apply pressure from drag plates on both sides of the carbon fiber drag washer to get high drag numbers.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

SoCalAngler

Quote from: akfish on December 04, 2016, 02:14:21 AM
Not quite correct on the Raptors: The have one free floating carbon fiber drag washer on the right side of the spool, but apply pressure from drag plates on both sides of the carbon fiber drag washer to get high drag numbers.

Yes this in fact how the Raptors work with the free floating carbon fiber drag sandwiched between two drag plates on one side of the spool. The TRX have this type of design on both sides of the spool to give the "quad" drag design.

Shark Hunter

Let me get this Straight.
You are the owner of Charkbait Mark?
Life is Good!