Avet JX uneven drag. Help

Started by nlam004, November 30, 2016, 01:55:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

I would like to look at the reel if Alan can't figure out the problem.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

SoCalAngler

I fully understand about the "OCD" thing when it comes to reels but I really don't see it as a "problem" unless you fish your reels at 1-2 lbs of drag. I would guess then you get to around 2-3 lbs, maybe even less, of drag you don't have this issue.

Take Alan or Keta up with their offer and see if they find something.

It may only take one nice fish that pulls hard to smooth everything out.

As far as Avet looking at the reel my guess is they did. After looking inside I would bet a tech there put a few pounds of drag on the reel, less than most would fish the reel at and the drag felt smooth when pulling on it. Is this perfect? No. Is there even a small concern in my mind about reel issues or failure in the future because of this? IMO no. But, I do really understand how you feel.

Let the guys look at it and I'm sure this will offer you more piece of mind.

nlam004

Took a visit with Alan and checked it out.  Turns out I'm probably more OCD than I need to be.  The drag washer probably has some imperfections that is causing the skip that is noticeable at low drag pressures.  There isn't an issue when the strike is set at what I would fish it as.  Other than that, I do appreciate the input of all.  SoCal Angler, you and others are probably right.

Thanks again,
Nick

Rivverrat

Most all of us here suffer greatly from this malady & like the rest of us you are completely hopeless. Most of us thought we hid it well...not true.  It's a giant positive first step in seeing this in your self.   

So be happy & just run with it...Jeff

SoCalAngler

Quote from: nlam004 on December 14, 2016, 07:09:39 AM
Took a visit with Alan and checked it out.  Turns out I'm probably more OCD than I need to be.  The drag washer probably has some imperfections that is causing the skip that is noticeable at low drag pressures.  There isn't an issue when the strike is set at what I would fish it as.  Other than that, I do appreciate the input of all.  SoCal Angler, you and others are probably right.

Thanks again,
Nick

Nick,
Like I said I fully understand where you are coming from. I'm sure Alan checked it out right, double checked it and then probably ran a third check to just make sure.

Run a good season of fishing the reel and then let us know if the issue is still there. My bet is after a few fish that pull drag you will not have this issue.

Now catch some fish with that reel.  ;)