Main Menu

first post

Started by alantani, December 04, 2008, 06:37:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benni3, seruga, mackereljoe, WalterWyman, Donnyboat, Batomba, ST.NicksCobia and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

vilters

so I finally got out on the big pond last year after a couple years off, after my friend sold his offshore boat.  I hooked my first (and only) fish of the day, but couldn't really make any gain on him, so I tried buttoning down the drag on my tn20, but the star bottomed out, and couldn't get near enough drag. so as a result, the dog ate my fish  >:(.
I had had someone service the reel with drag and freespool upgrades, but something was wrong, so I next took it to another reel tech, who was unable to fix the reel. he suggested I send it to the factory, as they had plenty of spare parts to try on it. I didn't want to go that route, as I wanted to keep the upgrades. it was then I remembered this guy who posted really nice, detailed tutorials on bd, which I found helpful on servicing my own reels. I figured that was the guy who could help, and I was right. thanks Alan! my first trip of this year, a couple weeks ago, the reel cast like a dream, and the drag was smooth/strong, those yellows didn't stand a chance.
so I started doing some reading here, and was blown away with what you all are doing with the older penn reels. I had already decided to get some of my penns out of mothballs and put them back in the rotation, as I had been fishing mostly avets and shimanos  recently. I'm pretty stoked on upgrading my reels further than the frames and gears. I do regret selling my newells, but have started replacing some of those when I can find them.
I really like the cool vibe here, just a good bunch of folks, very friendly and helpful.

alantani

glad to have you here.  i figured out the penn drag washer trick for the trinidads on my own, but other guys figured it out independently as well.  as for the penn upgrades, that would be sal and all the other guys.  i'm perfectly happy with single dogs.  all i did was the gear sleeves and handle grips.  let me know if i can help with parts!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

vilters

Thanks Alan,
I do need some parts and will message you. i'll give you some time to get caught up from your amazing trip. I really enjoyed reading about it, and it's cool that you were the guy to get such a variety of nice fish.
Steve

Shark Hunter

Welcome Steve!
There is lots to learn here! ;)
Life is Good!

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

MFB

G'day Steve

Rgds

Mark
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

Paul N Florida

Hello all from Paul in sunny Florida.  I found this site researching a reel I just bought.  Looks like a great group of people and I'll have quite a few questions and hopefully some answers as well...

harryk3616

hey  paul         you will get all your questions answered, there is a great bunch of people on this site just itching to help out, welcome.  i grew up in hollywood  fla.  fished the piers, dania, newport, haulover and haulover cut    from   55  to  62.  long island  ny     harryk

(

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Paul welcome to the "neighborhood"...

alantani

welcome!!!!!   i noticed that ICAST was in florida this year.  i was thinking of going when i though it would be in las vegas again, but it looks like i will once again miss this show.  some day i will make it!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

MFB

G'day Paul,

Rgds

Mark
                                                   Isaac Walton

team squideye

Hi found this website whilst researching carbontex drag washers and the need to overhaul 2 shimano charter specials one stiff and one very noisey. With the help of this site I now have two reels in great working order thanks. I live in melbourne Australia and fish 99% salt water anything from marlin to squid once again thanks

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

MFB

G'day Squid eye,

Rgds

Mark

Isaac Walton