Main Menu

first post

Started by alantani, December 04, 2008, 06:37:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandbar, Batomba, ST.NicksCobia, Steve V., Benni3, rogan, seruga and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

squideye welcome to the "neighborhood"...

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Quoc_Pham

I can't believe it's taken me this long to find this forum, so much great info!

Been fishing about a year, started out with a couple spinners, and have some old reels and some new ones.

I found the forums after researching the Torium 30 CF Drags, I just picked up a Torium 30 for $50 BNIB and read about the reverse problems, and I plan on doing the CF Drags and Pawl fix here soon!

Cool stuff!

alantani

welcome!  if you need any of the dogs and springs, let me know.  alan

Quoc_Pham

Quote from: alantani on July 26, 2014, 04:25:08 AM
welcome!  if you need any of the dogs and springs, let me know.  alan

I was fortunate enough to call Shimano earlier today and they're sending me a set pro-bono. All I need to do now is research the drag thicknesses on my Torium 30 (and other reels) so I can cut my own drag washers.

I'm currently reading your threads on lubricants.
1) Yamaha Blue Marine Grease
2) Cal's Drag Grease
3) TSI301 [Aerosol can?]

I've got a couple reels that I will be upgrading and servicing over time.
Torium 30
Baitrunner 6000D
Baitrunner 4000D
Triton Mark IV S
Triton Beastmaster 30/50

Great site awesome stuff!

alantani

personally, i'd just use carbontex drags.  cutting carbon fiber is a miserable experience.  the fibers go everwhere and they make you itch like crazy!

MFB

G'day Croaker

Rgds

Mark
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

Quoc_Pham

Quote from: alantani on July 26, 2014, 06:42:41 AM
personally, i'd just use carbontex drags.  cutting carbon fiber is a miserable experience.  the fibers go everwhere and they make you itch like crazy!

I meant carbontex not carbon fiber

Quote from: MFB on July 26, 2014, 06:58:38 AM
G'day Croaker

Rgds

Mark

Shark Hunter

Welcome CK!
Carbontex is made from carbon fiber sheets.
Life is Good!

Quoc_Pham

Quote from: Shark Hunter on July 26, 2014, 04:51:36 PM
Welcome CK!
Carbontex is made from carbon fiber sheets.

Right you are... but Carbontex vs the fiberglass core carbon fiber.... I know what I'm trying to say in my head but it's not coming out haha

Shark Hunter

Gotcha. ;) So carbontex doesn't have the lamination in the middle? I didn't know. I've haven't used it yet.
Life is Good!

Quoc_Pham

Quote from: Shark Hunter on July 27, 2014, 02:00:13 PM
Gotcha. ;) So carbontex doesn't have the lamination in the middle? I didn't know. I've haven't used it yet.

I am by no means an expert on this topic, there is a weave that is inside the Carbontex that holds it together, however it's not a piece of fiberglass that backs it up....

But Carbon fiber (or fiberglass for that matter)... it all depends on how the fabric is woven. I work on aircraft and you wouldn't believe the immense types of weave patterns there are within carbon fiber fabric.

Some tidbits of info...
http://www.avcarb.com//wp-content/uploads/2014/01/3063-Fishing-Reels.pdf

CarbonTex drags that you can buy from Dawn [Just bought these from a tackle shop that carries the drags that Dawn makes]

betterlate

Hello everyone, first post and excited about joining.

Fish saltwater almost exclusively, bays and surf.

I own 3 Shimano spinners, 2 Ambassadeur 5500C's, a Penn spinner and a Pflueger spinner. Oh, and a NIB Zebco 808 SW (for the missus - maiden voyage on that one in a few weeks, finally).

I am keenly interested in restoring my Shimano's to their new, out of the box, silence. Looking forward to benefiting from the site and hope that I can contribute, as well.

Cheers.

alantani

Shark Hunter

Welcome betterlate! ;D
Life is Good!