Main Menu

first post

Started by alantani, December 04, 2008, 06:37:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RSIA-01, Benni3, UKChris1, seruga, mackereljoe, WalterWyman and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Quinnbozz

Quote from: Shark Hunter on January 30, 2016, 01:43:26 PM

Devin,
I would put a new drag stack in that 9/0 and fish it.
Stock drag setting with a new five stack will get you 25 lbs.
That is with a 5 stack. You can upgrade to a 7 stack kit from Bryan and bump that up to a little more than 30, but without putting a frame on it and some more goodies, it will double the price you paid easily.
Here is the drag kit you need.
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/6-114HSP.aspx
And an new undergear washer.
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/4-115.aspx
This is the bare minimum investment to make it into a capable fishing Machine.
Probably 20 bucks.
"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Hey thanks so much for the help, so your saying stick with the 5 stack without a frame or I can go all in and then do a 7stack......lol but boy them tom frames look good ::) and who's to say I'd HAVE to sell it right.... I could use it for drift fishing and trolling for sure if I frame it right? Lol nothin like not sticking to a plan. Think there is any actual benefit to an extra 500 yards of 80lb braid or stick with 100lb.

Ook where dose the under gear washer go....ya know what I'll try fishing* through the tutorials an see if I come across it. And one for doing the drag to.

I should also buy a small tube of calls grease to, while I'm at it blue Yamaha marine grease too.

swill88

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 30, 2016, 02:40:45 PM
Funny how he just vanished :-\...

If I'm not mistaken... Eric was online yesterday. I can't remember the thread and... I was into a bit of zin.

Steve

Shark Hunter

Erik's last post was Feb of 2015. I think you had too much Zin Steve. :P
I don't think that is a lefty Devin.
The Under gear goes under the main gear on the sleeve.
Your reel looks like a newer production aluminum spool bearing model.
I say open it up first. You might not even need a new drag stack.
Life is Good!

Quinnbozz

Quote from: Shark Hunter on January 31, 2016, 01:07:48 AM
Erik's last post was Feb of 2015. I think you had too much Zin Steve. :P
I don't think that is a lefty Devin.
The Under gear goes under the main gear on the sleeve.
Your reel looks like a newer production aluminum spool bearing model.
I say open it up first. You might not even need a new drag stack.

:o that would be nice....right? ??? Or did I want the older better guts

I'm really starting to like the idea of a tom frame....oh dear I'm already slipping down the slope and I don't even have it yet

Hey shark hunter, what is your personal opinion on the pen fathom fth60lw for the Great Lakes, I'm thinking I really would like it for my lifetime reel back home (for all intensive purposes less cal Lake Michigan home)

Shark Hunter

I don't have a fathom Devin.
Post it up in the Penn section and I'm sure you'll get some answers.
Life is Good!

AU7172

Hello Alan. Just wanted to add my name to the list of folks thanking you for this great website.  I started collecting fishing tackle a few years ago including Abu Garcia Ambassadeur reels. I am not particularly gifted when it comes to mechanical repair so your picture tutorials have helped immensely. 

Russ

foakes

Welcome aboard, Russ!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Tiddlerbasher

AU7172

Thanks Fred for your post on Quick spinning reels.  It made me dig out an old 110n that I had stored away for 30 years or longer.  What a great piece of workmanship!
Russ

Reel 224

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

markey220

hello,my name is marcus,i am 58 yo.i live in so.maine.i fish for stripers,bottomfish,giant bluefin.thanks to the great tutorials from mr.tani.i have been able to maintain my fishing reels.from the avet sxj to the penn 130's.i belong to several fishing forums,hence,the familiarity with alan.looking forward to absorbing some knowledge from alan and others.hopefully i can help as well.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!