Shimano Curado CU-200E7 Brake Weight Issues

Started by LAHossman, December 03, 2016, 01:37:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LAHossman

I have a Curado CU-200E7 that is wearing the ends of the brake weights (BNT1715) off. I replaced the brake weights and it is still eating their ends.
I took a cotton swab and wiped around the brass friction ring in the brake case with no fibers left behind. I was wondering if anyone has had this
problem and how did they resolve it. The brake case is pretty expensive, but would you replace that?

Zimbass

Hey Hossman.

There is no way that the brake weights should be wearing to the extent you describe. There has to be an underlying problem that is causing this. I am aware that the original brake case BNT3933 has been discontinued and replaced with BNT4106. It may be that your reel has the old part. Not aware that either part is an issue, and have worked on hundreds of this very popular reel.

The only other reason may be the brake case has been assembled incorrectly, and may be missing the spacer.

Difficult to diagnose without having the reel in hand. Maybe post some pictures to see if there is anything obvious to some more knowledgeable members.

Cheers.

Terry.

Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

oc1

I've seen the brake race scored... like a auto brake drum than needs to be turned.  The race seems to wear faster than the brake weights.
-steve

LAHossman

Quote from: Zimbass on December 03, 2016, 04:12:46 AM
Hey Hossman.

There is no way that the brake weights should be wearing to the extent you describe. There has to be an underlying problem that is causing this. I am aware that the original brake case BNT3933 has been discontinued and replaced with BNT4106. It may be that your reel has the old part. Not aware that either part is an issue, and have worked on hundreds of this very popular reel.

The only other reason may be the brake case has been assembled incorrectly, and may be missing the spacer.

Difficult to diagnose without having the reel in hand. Maybe post some pictures to see if there is anything obvious to some more knowledgeable members.

Cheers.

Terry.

Zimbass, thanks for the reply. I too, service reels and this is the first time that I have experienced this issue. The guy I am working on this reel for, is a guide and pretty hard on his stuff. I super tuned this reel and two other 200E7's. He had this brake issue before the tune. I, like you, worked on many of these reels and this was the first one that have seen this. Even the old Bantam reels have not done this. This spacer you speak of is the clear plastic piece between the brake case and turnkey dial. I have on occasion seen two of these sandwiched between the two. Man I don't know. I may take one of his other Curado brake cases and see if it will solve the problem. If so, I will recommend a replacement

Zimbass

I agree with you Steve, especially the older brass races. Occasionally the brake pins can come loose and drag on the race.

Never seen the actual brake weights damaged to the extent that Hossman refers.

I have asked Bantam of Shimano fame, on another forum, if there was an issue with the original brake case that caused a change by Shimano engineers. Will revert once I now more.

Cheers,

Terry.

I was about to post this when you responded Hossman. Yes that spacer is the clear plastic part. It is a shim, so can be of varying thickness, and can be single or double. Adjusts tolerances of horizontal movement, but not vertical movement.

If you can use another brake case and solve the problem, wait till I have some more info on the reason Shimano changed the case, before getting a replacement.

Zimbass

Reply from Bantam1 :

Terry,

Sometimes they will make a running change, or the part is the same for multiple reel models but could have different part numbers. We have created master parts numbers for several parts. This explains the different part number.

We have updated schematics for all the reels. The web guy just hasn't updated him yet....

Dan

In answer to why this may happen, he stated :

Running them dry for too long will wear them out and they can look rough.

Sure you already knew that Hossman. Let us all know what your solution is, and if the brake case was the issue.

Cheers.

Terry.

oc1

The instruction booklet says to clean and oil the race after every use.  Yeah, lots of luck with that. 

My present curado gets the race wiped with an oily finger when doing a full service but I don't like using a lot of lubrication in that area for fear that it will contaminate the tail plate bearing which is ceramic and being run dry.
-steve

Zimbass

Hi Steve.

The need to regularly lightly oil the race applies to the current I series Curado, with SVS braking. Just a Q-Tip lightly oiled and run around the race does the trick.

The older E series Curado has the VBS braking system that does not require the same regular lubrication. Every season would be adequate for normal use.

Either of these systems would not contaminate the bearing, if lubed correctly.

Cheers.

Terry.

JoeyFortina

I have a friend with this same issue. Can't seem to figure out why he keeps burning through brakes on one of his curado E's.

LAHossman

That's is why I came on here for answers. Shake a tree hard enough and some fruit will fall. I have not gotten back the reel in question. I will look at the pins that hold the brake weights on the spool and see if they are loose. But here is my point, surely there would be damage on the friction ring. I did not see any signs of damage. I am hoping that I can swap the brake case from one of his other reels and see if it solves the problem. If the brake weights don't wear, then I will purchase the upgraded brake case. I will keep you posted if I come up with a solution.

johndtuttle

Quote from: LAHossman on December 10, 2016, 04:01:34 AM
That's is why I came on here for answers. Shake a tree hard enough and some fruit will fall. I have not gotten back the reel in question. I will look at the pins that hold the brake weights on the spool and see if they are loose. But here is my point, surely there would be damage on the friction ring. I did not see any signs of damage. I am hoping that I can swap the brake case from one of his other reels and see if it solves the problem. If the brake weights don't wear, then I will purchase the upgraded brake case. I will keep you posted if I come up with a solution.

What weight lures are you throwing?

JoeyFortina

The weight doesnt seem to matter. The metal ring wasn't damaged either. My friends reel ate through the replacement weights as well.