Thought I would say HI!

Started by Midway Tommy, December 19, 2016, 06:27:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midway Tommy

Alan just approved my registration, Thank You Kind Sir, so I thought I'd try my first post, say HI to ya'll and see if my avatar, signature and other info is satisfactory. As my signature indicates, I'm one of those open face spinning reel guys, fresh water to boot, so I'll probably be spending most of my time down in that vicinity.

Hi guys, glad to be here! 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Tightlines667

Welcome aboard!

Sounds like you've got some good tastes.  You may want to take a gander at some of the DAM Quick threads by Fred et. al., if you havn't done so already.  Hard to beat the  Abu/cardinals, and DAMs for freshwater spinners.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

Everything looks great,  welcome!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Tightlines666 on December 19, 2016, 06:31:23 AM
Welcome aboard!

Sounds like you've got some good tastes.  You may want yo take a gander at some of the DAM Quick threads by Fred et. al., if you havn't done so already.  Hard yo beat the opd Abu/cardinals, and DAMs for freshwater spinners.

John

Thanks John, I've been through a good share of the great info on those threads already. Fred is very generous with his information & tips and I'll be using it quite a bit once I get to my stash of Dam Quicks. I've got at least one of most all of their earlier models, a 250 Standard, 250 Standard Quick-O-Mat, 5 Juniors including the early external trip full bail, 265 Microlite, 280 & 285 Finessa, 110, 220, 330, 440, 550, 110N, 2-220Ns, 2-330Ns, 440N, 550N, Super w/line counter, Super 2 speed, 1001, 2001 & an old 85. All are in very good to excellent condition. Those tutorials will come in quite handy once I start breaking them down, cleaning and servicing them.  :)   

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Tiddlerbasher

foakes

Welcome aboard, Tommy --

You have a great reputation, and you certainly know your spinners, as well as other reels and knowledge.

You have a great selection of Quicks --

You should look for a 238, 248, 221, 331, 331N, 441N -- as you know, but others may not -- the "1" in the model designation denotes a high speed reel.  Longer crank handles, faster gears.

Many of these DAMS are set up to just switch the handles from left to right.  The entire gear train is removed and re-attached to the opposite frame side -- not just a matter of removing handles like on the cheap metal reels of today -- these DAMs are built so strong -- with tight tolerances even over 50 or 60 years -- that this was engineered into them decades ahead of the competition.

Best Regards,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

theswimmer

Welcome Tommy from a fellow spinner head!
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Shark Hunter

Welcome Tommy.
Good to have you Aboard,
Daron
Life is Good!

Midway Tommy

Thanks for the nice welcome, guys! I ran across this past thread  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=17385.0 and thought my time might be limited :o, until I read through it all, that is.  ;D

Fred, I have a Herter's 109A, so the 238 is taken care of. I never chased the high speed "S" models. I guess I figured the regulars were enough. They just catch shelf fish these days, anyway.  ;)  I'm sure you won't remember this but I bought a couple of 250 Standard bail spring covers from you a few years back when you were selling a little stuff on the 'Bay. You threw in a couple of new bails springs to boot. Nice gesture, they came in handy!

Here's a couple of pics of my little early 1952 external bail trip 240 Junior. Not many people have ever seen one:

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Alto Mare

Hello Tommy, nice to have you here with us.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bill B

Welcome Tom, glad to have you here.....Bill, Sacramento Delta
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!