349H Gears in a 114H ???

Started by ez2cdave, December 24, 2016, 01:50:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ez2cdave

Guys,

A question just popped into my head, while cleaning up a couple of reels.

Will the Main Gear & Pinion from a 349H ( 3.25:1 ) fit into a 114H ( 2.8:1 ) ?

Would any other parts have to be swapped out ?

Tight Lines !

RowdyW

ez2cdave

Quote from: RowdyW on December 24, 2016, 02:02:01 AM
No

Rowdy,

Thanks for your expansive response . . . I was hoping for another answer, but the truth is always a "good starting point" . . . LOL !

Tight Lines !

Maxed Out

You'd have to put a 113H gear sleeve onto a 114H bridge post, and that won't work. I believe the post is larger diameter.

there exists such a reel as a 113H with 114H gears :o, but not vice versa :( :(

-Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

RowdyW

Quote from: ez2cdave on December 24, 2016, 01:50:54 AM
Guys,

A question just popped into my head, while cleaning up a couple of reels.

Will the Main Gear & Pinion from a 349H ( 3.25:1 ) fit into a 114H ( 2.8:1 ) ?

Would any other parts have to be swapped out ?

Tight Lines !
Dave, if you have to have a 114H with a higher ratio get a set of Black Pearls gears. But if you want to use 349 gears just widen the 349. All you would have to do is machine yourself a frame & spool. There are some Newell parts around to widen a 349 but not quite as wide as a 114H.                  Rudy

Alto Mare

Pinion for the lower ratio could be customized, there is enough room there to drill and file, the main gear inner hole could also be enlarged.
Too bad you'll be 1mm too short. Gears will probably work perfectly when testing by hand, but would definitely slip under load.
In another word...don't waste your time.

I really like the 349's, to me a norrow 6/0 with the works is a much better reel.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 24, 2016, 06:53:08 AM
I really like the 349's, to me a norrow 6/0 with the works is a much better reel.

Absolutely right, Sal --

But we need to remember, we are talking a lot of money to do the works -- $300 to $500, likely.

So it depends on the passion of the angler -- their wallet, and there preferences for tinkering around with pieces and parts -- or a full blow custom narrow tank, like you do so well.

Best Always,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

Quote from: foakes on December 24, 2016, 04:40:00 PM
Quote from: Alto Mare on December 24, 2016, 06:53:08 AM

Absolutely right, Sal --

But we need to remember, we are talking a lot of money to do the works -- $300 to $500, likely.

So it depends on the passion of the angler -- their wallet, and there preferences for tinkering around with pieces and parts -- or a full blow custom narrow tank, like you do so well.

Best Always,

Fred
Yes Fred, you are absolutely correct as well.
It does get costly customizing these reels,but, it gets much costlier doing it on a reel and finding out afterwards it won't wor .
My only reason I've mentioned it to Dave.

Best!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

I have a 114HN but wish a 114HNN frame and spool was available.  The 114N is a srtonger reel than a 349H but it is heavier than a 349 with an aluminum spool.  For halibut the 349 is plenty strong, the 114H stronger.  

Parts are much easier to find for the 114H and that is a big plus.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

For those sho have the gears, try mating a 349H main gear with a 113h pinion. You'll be surprised as I was.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Quote from: Bryan Young on December 24, 2016, 05:34:07 PM
For those sho have the gears, try mating a 349H main gear with a 113h pinion. You'll be surprised as I was.
It's not just about mating, gears needs to give the same numbers when pinion and main gear are engaged.

I'm starting to realize why Dave asked, he probably has done it.
I just checked the faster 349 pinion with the main and they give the same numbers as the 6/0.
So, with some customizing they should work, but personally, I wouldn't trust them.
You would need to remove 1.75mm on the pinion  to make it slide on the spool, that doesn't leave much material by the notch.

Just my opinion, of course.

Sal

Bryan Young

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 24, 2016, 06:01:27 PM
Quote from: Bryan Young on December 24, 2016, 05:34:07 PM
It's not just about mating, gears needs to give the same numbers when pinion and main gear are engaged.

I'm starting to realize why Dave asked, he probably has done it.
I just checked the faster 349 pinion with the main and they give the same numbers as the 6/0.
So, with some customizing they should work, but personally, I wouldn't trust them.
You would need to remove 1.75mm on the pinion  to make it slide on the spool, that doesn't leave much material by the notch.

Sal
What I just described is the Lee Pro Magnum reel.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Ron Jones

I have spoken to a couple people about 349 side plates to fit 113h guts. Won't be cheap but definitely on my long term list.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

ez2cdave

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 24, 2016, 06:01:27 PMI'm starting to realize why Dave asked, he probably has done it.
I just checked the faster 349 pinion with the main and they give the same numbers as the 6/0.So, with some customizing they should work, but personally, I wouldn't trust them.

Sal

Sal,

You must have your "Crystal Ball" on the table in front of you  . . . I didn't do it yet, but I was going to give it a try.

Fortunately, all of you saved me in the "nick of time" . . . LOL !

Too bad it isn't a "drop-in" and too much would have to be machined on the pinion . . . I was just "thinking" !

MERRY CHRISTMAS !

Dave