Delrin and Carbontex. 2 years of use.

Started by handi2, December 31, 2016, 07:34:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handi2

I thought I would show this as I go through these charter boat reels.

The Delrin under gear and Carbontex washers have had 2 seasons of use. They get used 5 times a week or more.

The under gear Delrin shows a distinct circle of wear. This side was against the gear sleeve. It looks it was spinning with the main gear at times. The Carbontex washers still measured 1.2mm thickness.

The drag washers will go back for another year.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

steelhead_killer

><)))">

handi2

Gulf Breeze, FL

Ron Jones

2 Years of charter use is a lifetime of use for me. I'm sold.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Bryan Young

Quote from: handi2 on December 31, 2016, 07:34:01 PM
I thought I would show this as I go through these charter boat reels.

The Delrin under gear and Carbontex washers have had 2 seasons of use. They get used 5 times a week or more.

The under gear Delrin shows a distinct circle of wear. This side was against the gear sleeve. It looks it was spinning with the main gear at times. The Carbontex washers still measured 1.2mm thickness.

The drag washers will go back for another year.

Keith

Thanks Keith.  Good to hear of these results.  Can't wait for the pics.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

I usually see a light scratch on mine as well, doesn't take anything away from it though.
To me the delrin washer is still a much better choice for under the gear.

The cause of the scratch could be related to the tip of the dogs or dog post.  it could also be the top of the teeth on the gear ratchet not being cleaned enough.
Either way, that washer will still do just fine.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Newell Nut

I agree with Sal. Had a under gear CF get destroyed on one of my Newells so never again for me.

Dwight

handi2

The grease I use on these reels is Inox MX8. I get a dealer discount so it isn't too expensive. The grease holds up very well.
Gulf Breeze, FL

exp2000

Quote from: handi2 on January 01, 2017, 11:32:08 PM
The grease I use on these reels is Inox MX8. I get a dealer discount so it isn't too expensive. The grease holds up very well.

With everything you have at your disposal in America it is amusing to see you using an Ozzie product  ;)
~

Tightlines667

Thanks for sharing the pics Keith.  

This looks like very acceptable wear to me.  The stock hard fiber discs can also showsimilar wear patterns along with some distortion after heavy use.  The fiber may hold lubrication slightly better, but the Delron is stronger and has a lower inherent coefficient of friction.  

I will continue to use it both below the main gear, above the drag stack, and under the star (when appropriate).

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Lunker Larry

Has anyone swapped out the Dartanium washer under the main gear on the Tekotas with delron? I regularly see these crushed.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

Bryan Young

I use carbontex under the main gear on tekota reels as well.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

handi2

Quote from: Lunker Larry on January 02, 2017, 02:52:55 AM
Has anyone swapped out the Dartanium washer under the main gear on the Tekotas with delron? I regularly see these crushed.

I'm using a Trinidad with a Delrin washer under the gear. It hasn't been used much last season so I cant comment.
Gulf Breeze, FL

steelfish

Quote from: handi2 on January 02, 2017, 05:14:20 PM
Quote from: Lunker Larry on January 02, 2017, 02:52:55 AM

I'm using a Trinidad with a Delrin washer under the gear. It hasn't been used much last season so I cant comment.

thanks Keith, I knew I have a reel that was still pending to swapt from CF under the gear to Delrin but I coould remembered which was, now I know is my trini16, do you know if the 113h delring washers fit in the gold trinidad ?
The Baja Guy