Changing treble hooks to singles on jigs?

Started by pjstevko, January 04, 2017, 03:50:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjstevko

Anyone change out the treble hooks on their jigs or hexbars with single or double hooks?

If so what brand and size hooks did you use?

I'm getting tired of dealing with treble hooks......

SoCalAngler

Yes I often change treble hooks to either single or double hooks on my lures. The hook size will really depend on the size of the lure that your.

I don't use hexbars but other type of metal jigs and use Mustad, Owner or Gamakatsu hooks mostly.

I like single hooks or circle hooks on my lures where you may have fish flopping around the boat (i.e single hooks) or when you may want to relese fish boatside (circles used here). The double's are mostly used for troll fish that will be eaten.

Cor

Usually use VMC 5.0 or 4.0 on Yellowtail which give best hookup rate for those fish on a fast retrieve lure.    Will change down to singles when there is a lot of kelp or other structure in the water (you don't get hooked as much) or if if caught too many fish.

If fish are taking well then singles make no difference but otherwise your hookup rate reduces but you drop less fish, they hold fish better.    Two singles facing inward is a better all round solution.

On Yellowfin Tuna I've experimented a lot,  large trebles seem to drop a lot of fish, singles hold fish far better, but hookup is poor.    I've settled on two very (10.0 to 12.0) large inward facing singles which seems to be the best solution.
Cornelis

oc1

FatTuna

I have totally different types of jigs I use for groundfish. They are called Norwegian or banana jigs. I use all VMC permasteel treble hooks. They are cheap and quality. I buy the 4x and 6x, 3/0, 4/0, 5/0.

Bryan Young

My favorite circle hooks for bottom jigs and bars are Owner's SSW Inline Circle Hooks (http://www.ownerhooks.com/circlehooks.htm#5179)  They have a very wide gap between the hook's shank and the tip.  Makes releasing fish a breeze and also very forgiving if one is not used to using circle hooks when they have a need to set the hook.  they are not cheap, cut I still love them for my bottom fishing bars.  And being circle hooks, I have only lost one, and it was not in the rocks, but on the retrieve on the kelp.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

handi2

Where I fish in the Gulf I don't use treble hooks for anything. If it has treble hooks they get replaced. No kelp here. Treble hooks are to dangerous and a pain to unhook.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

oc1

I'm with you Keith.  Treble hooks are an accident waiting to happen and they tear up the fish's mouth too.
-steve

STRIPER LOU

Mustad 9171PS 7/0, open eye Siwash is tough to beat. Reasonably priced, strong, super sharp, great on jigs as well as many other things.
...............Lou

boon

Does anyone in that part of the world use assist rigs on their jigs?

Down here in NZ we pretty much solely use large-ish singles on jigs, attached with heavy kevlar assist cord so the hook is free swinging.
Furthermore the leader ties to a solid ring which the assist cord attaches to, so you can use quite light splitrings on the jig itself as the ring doesn't take any load when fighting the fish. Makes changing jigs a lot easier.

Virtually nothing but poppers here have trebles, even then a lot of people are moving to larger inline singles.

Big Tim

PJ I use treble hooks all the time but have been changing to a single and sometimes use an assist as well. I hate circle hooks and don't know why. For what we do out here single hooks with an assist is best and less bottom of the world snags  ;D

BT

Bryan Young

Quote from: boon on January 05, 2017, 02:40:23 AM
Does anyone in that part of the world use assist rigs on their jigs?

Down here in NZ we pretty much solely use large-ish singles on jigs, attached with heavy kevlar assist cord so the hook is free swinging.
Furthermore the leader ties to a solid ring which the assist cord attaches to, so you can use quite light splitrings on the jig itself as the ring doesn't take any load when fighting the fish. Makes changing jigs a lot easier.

Virtually nothing but poppers here have trebles, even then a lot of people are moving to larger inline singles.
I also use assist hooks. I cannot seem to get he length correct for my liking though.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

whalebreath

Quote from: STRIPER LOU on January 04, 2017, 08:33:49 PM
Mustad 9171PS 7/0, open eye Siwash is tough to beat....
That's a VMC product.

If you want Mustad go with 95170 if you can find them

Bryan Young

Quote from: whalebreath on January 06, 2017, 05:03:19 AM
Quote from: STRIPER LOU on January 04, 2017, 08:33:49 PM
Mustad 9171PS 7/0, open eye Siwash is tough to beat....
That's a VMC product.

If you want Mustad go with 95170 if you can find them

Me like the tips of those hooks.

Donnyboat

Hi fat tuna, just for the record, know bananas on boats, cheers donnyboat.
Don, or donnyboat